1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"perceived" lesbian coach gets 5.85 mil in title IX suit...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JD Canon, Jul 9, 2007.

1. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

big news in central california.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/story/80978.html

i remember covering this coach in college. easy to work with most times. i had nothing against her. there also did seem to be some kind of major discrimination going on whether it was sexual, old guard/new guard or personality.

i was still shocked by the ruling. i may be a little fuzzy on exact numbers, but this coach was at the school 12+ years, made EXACTLY two NCAA tournament first round appearances 10 years apart. won zero conference titles. the school simply did not renew her contract, and she gets almost 6 million?

wow.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I am Spartacus

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I am Spartacus.

4. He, she, or it is Spartacus.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Can't imagine the jury had to deliberate very long.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I am Spartacus and so's my wife.

7. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

So ESPN's first offer to the makeup artist should be ... in the neighborhood of $2 mil?

8. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

the ugly women's athletes thing was confirmed by multiple people during the trial, but in no reports i have read was it a direct attack against vivas — especially one that caused her monetary damage.

it sounded more like a joke against the male sports administrators. the office secretaries pasted department officials' heads on the bodies. there is some dispute as to whether they celebrated with a pot luck.

9. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

At the very least, it's an indication of an athletics department in need of an attitude adjustment about women in sports, their appearance and how little the latter should matter if the school is committed to fairness and gender equity. Sounds to me like maybe the secretaries -- hot looking? more femme than the coach? -- took the side of their bosses and played along in enforcing stereotypes.

Lighten up, Francis? Maybe, but if I'm on that jury and I hear that story, that's a big Fresno red flag that makes the defense have to work twice as hard to prove it's been wrongfully accused.

Draft saved Draft deleted