1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Per-piece sports writer - $10-$12 per piece

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by bpoindexter, May 22, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is this the return of Pickle Juice?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Only if she does Pampered Chef.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You think these comments are rude? You haven't seen anything yet. Just wait until you take a reader or advertiser phone call complaining about a story (or lack of one).

Everything written here is geared to help steer writers toward a REAL writing position and away from something that will not help one bit.

Learn to take constructive criticism and not be so defensive.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'd always hoped that Kathy Lee would get into publishing.

5. blkbamabelle

blkbamabelle New Member

I call it ball busting. Constructive criticism is one thing, being a d*ck because you can is another.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Seriously, who wouldn't want to be a duck? Especially if you could be this duck:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Good call right there, sir.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Blackbamabelle, what level are you at? If you're looking for advice... seriously... you can make more freelancing for the local weekly or daily. You can gain actual experience and write articles you can proudly show to an editor someday. If you're still in college, write for the campus paper. I made it to an assistant editor role in about a semester simply by being reliable and not terrible. That paid for some gas and the occasional drink or two. I also interned and freelanced for the local paper while I was in college.

Taking part in stuff like this expecting it to count toward a real journalism job won't help.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ummm.... yeah, there's a whole thread about that on the Journalism topics only board.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/90904/

11. Here's the deal: If you want to write, you can do so without selling your soul to the likes of Journatic. When I lost my gig as an SE a few years back, I was able to find a job at an oil and gas company working in their accounts payable department. The $13 an hour they threw at me became worth it once they realized I had a writing background and they were willing to adjust my schedule in order for me to get out to cover stories. Add all of the OT they offered as well, and I ended up getting the best of both worlds with $100 from a major daily to do small college football on Saturdays and $80 from another paper for high school on Fridays.

In short, you can get the best of both worlds without having to whore yourself out in order to get a byline.

Draft saved Draft deleted