1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Per Diem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OneMoreRead, Sep 18, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I can't figure what logic people use to do this. It could have been a light travel year, less games on the road and less distance away.

It's why we don't have a full-time photog at our shop — If you can function without it once, then you don't ever need it again.

2. John Drama

John Drama New Member

I'm a big fan of the Mariott VIP rate too. Does all of that come from organizations like the fwaa, or do can papers work out deals to get that rate as well? I've always wondered that.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you book at Marriott online all you have to do is type in VIP and it will give you the rate... I've never been checked...

4. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

The day I'm told to share a room is the day I stay home. A good night's sleep is important, and the company owes me that much in lieu of staying away from the kids and home. I said enough about 10 years ago when my roommate snored so loud it could peel paint.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

Sharing rooms is bullshit.
    You send someone on the road, pretty much on call the entire time, long absences from family - if it's MLB, that's 9 to 10 days sometimes - and then deny the person some private space?
    totally bullshit.

6. Mira

Mira Member

Sometimes you can hit the jackpot with AAA.

A couple weeks back I stayed at a Courtyard in Valparaiso, Ind. (non-work trip) and the Web site listed $148 per night. But when I called to say I had AAA, it was $89! I blew the rest of my cash at White Castle.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Done right, really fucking good. Really, REALLY fucking good.
    I mean, REALLY FUCKING GOOD.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Now I'm regretting that panini from Barnes and Noble.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I can't believe any respectable newspaper would have people share rooms. Two co-workers should not be sharing a bedroom and bathroom. It's not just not reasonable to ask adults to do that IMO. (If you have a condo with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, like at spring training, that's different.)

I'd rather just stay in a cheap fleabag hotel and have my own room than stay in nicer hotel and have to share.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Plus, it leads to unnecessary fighting over who gets to keep the Marriott points.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I guess I'm in a weird spot. I've stayed at $150 hotels, eaten $30 dinners, turned in receipts with multiple beers on them, and nobody has ever even mentioned the word "per diem" within earshot of me. I have no idea how much is too much, because nobody's ever given me a guideline.

However, whenever two or more of us are sent to the same place, we always share rooms.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ick.

Draft saved Draft deleted