1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peoria's turn

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I felt great the day I posted the good news about Tampa. Seems there's 100 more of these for every one of those.
    Anyway, from The Pipeline:

The Peoria Journal Star laid off SE Bill Liesse and state editor Lisa Coon this morning. I've heard this from a couple staffers there, and there's this post about it from a Peoria blogger.
    http://peoriapundit.com/blogpeoria/2009/12/04/massive-christmas-layoffs-at-the-journal-star-today/

Not sure if anyone else in the newsroom was let go.

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Bill was my first sports editor out of college when we were both at the Arizona Daily Sun, a good guy and a good journalist (neither of which seems to matter much these days of course).

He grew up in Peoria and loved his hometown paper. Bastards.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Loved is the key word.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

So who runs the sports department now?

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Not flaming again, just wondering. Was this simply a cost thing? Was he there a long time and they wanted to get by on the cheap?
    I wonder if they ever even give people a chance to stay on for half the salary and give them six months to find another job.
    These cost cutting layoffs of outstanding veteran reporters is heartless and dumb.
    I'm assuming he's a veteran. Anybody?

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Bill's a good guy and he's been there a long time. Just saw this news. Unbelievable.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's a damn shame. You think you get used to reading these, but you never do.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I'm not really familiar with PJS, but I knew a guy who used to write there---Phil Theobald. Wonderful, witty writer, and I always thought if the rest of the staff was anything like him, that was one good paper. I suspect that was the case.

This stinks.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gate FuckHouse.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who runs the sports section now? The city editor?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The highest bidder among local advertisers.

12. Scouter

Scouter Member

I've heard sports columnist Kirk Wessler will be handling the SE duties.

Draft saved Draft deleted