1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peoria

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Scouter

Scouter Member

BBAM is good people, too.

2. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Pot calling the kettle black there. I know you jock Matty Blackford and Irish soccer every chance you get.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Mitch Blackfoot left the futbol program for higher ground in your beloved school ... asshole. ;)

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nothing personal, but i really have a disdain for this "our medium is dying, but it could have been much worse" approach to this process.

... these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back ...

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's because there are 1,400 daily newspapers, as opposed to, say, 3 major US carmakers.

So instead of one nuclear bomb going off and saying "Newspapers to lay off 25,000", we get 1,400 little bombs --- 2-3 every week --- saying "Newspaper X to lay off 20".

It just takes a lot of time for all 1,400 to go through the cycle (or go through it 2-3 times).

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The reason I phrased it that way was because the early report had the number at 40.

Believe me I know 11 is freaking brutal.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i know when i need to say i was wrong, but the premise still is buried some place in that post.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Is Phil Theobald still working there?

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Phil T. retired several years ago.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Update - trading raises for a moratorium on layoffs. From The Pipeline:

GateHouse has placed a 14-month moratorium on layoffs for Peoria, after the writers' guild voted 60-6 to give up their annual 3 percent raise, due in June.

Some here theorize this will buy the newspaper time to outlast GateHouse, which some feel is in danger of filing for bankruptcy, and will have to sell its holdings. We'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted