1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peoria

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Layoffs at the Journal Star today. Sources at one of the local TV stations tell us that the number is 40 people from throughout the Journal Star building. Not sure of the exact number from the newsroom. We only know two in the newsroom so far, but that will probably change. None from sports as of yet, but if we don't lose anybody outright depending on how many from the newsroom go, some will probably be shifting departments.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Christ almighty. I just spoke with some Peoria folks about layoffs at our shop last week. I guess they can return the favor when I head up that way this weekend.

Good luck to all.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

More:

Number in the newsroom is up to 5.

Two obit writers, a news reporter, a web person and a news copy desker.

4. Scouter

Scouter Member

The PJStar was my first (and previous) gig. Love the people there and a good place to get your feet wet, but it's really sad what's happened there in the past year. Got a text a few minutes ago from a friend of mine there: "Yep. It's a funeral in the newsroom."

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is too grave a thing to be messing around much, but I can't help but ask: A paper the size of Peoria had two obit writers?

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

It must be more than two -- somebody's got to be left to write the obits. It's probably the most valuable service any newspaper provides.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

While I feel relatively safe, I am sitting on pins and needles a bit.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm sure your choice of words was unintentional, SF_X.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, in retrospect, it was unintentional but it was also quite clever.

And by obit writers, I don't mean the classified type people. If that's the case, then never mind. But it sounded like they had two editorial obit writers, which would be unusual.

And CI, best of luck, hopefully at this point, no news is good news.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i have no idea why i thought some of this shit would slow down this year. good luck out there people.

11. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

One of the obit writers was the part-timer who worked on weekends.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Cause there are fewer us left to can?

Draft saved Draft deleted