1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People watch Conan....just not on TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's what TBS says as it offers make-goods to advertisers for lower-than-promised ratings:

http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/conan-s-ratings-huge-online/230031/

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I believe the technical, inside-the-biz TV term for the TBS argument here would be "bullshit."

3. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

It's a big hit with the college crowd that aren't a part of Nielsen ratings.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I get the sense that Fallon's show is more popular with the college kids than Conan's is...

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny that TBS made the exact same mistake NBC did years ago: banking on the Conan popularity a few years after it peaked.

Conan peaked in the days when his show was being re-run on Comedy Central. The zeitgeist moved on. NBC then gave him the Tonight Show after his popularity waned, pushed him back into the limelight with the firing and then TBS overpaid him based on that second bubble.

I love Conan, but he isn't ever going to draw Carson (well, who is?), Letterman or Leno numbers. He's a niche guy who would've been much better off at Comedy Central with maybe a 10 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. lead-in from The Daily Show and Colbert (moved up an hour to accommodate the move).

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The TBS show just wasn't very good. I think not being able to bring certain characters (Triumph, etc...) hurt a lot, even though they'll never admit it.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Agreed. There are glimmers of the old show about once a week, but it's a DVR show for me now. I'll fast forward through it looking for taped bits and a hot female guest to watch. I've always loved his taped bits more than his monologue.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's a big hit with people who get to sound cool by saying they like Conan but don't have to actually sit down and watch it.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!

If people watched Conan he's still be hosting the "Tonight Show."

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Lessons on being cool, from the closest person to Milhouse I've actually encountered.

11. RickStain

I'm not in the trees, so I can see the forest.

12. RickStain

Besides, I *do* always win. I've taken down my last two chess tournaments.

Draft saved Draft deleted