1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People rioting over new Air Jordans - really

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WolvEagle, Dec 23, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

$500 on ebay.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like the economy is that bad, considering the mobs rushing those malls.

Is stuff ... stuff, mind you ... this freaking important?

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. The economy must not be as bad as advertised if people can she'll out crazy cash for sneakers. I have a job and still buy half my clothes from Goodwiil

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

People still think the shoes give you more hops, I guess... Nike Air: the greatest gimmick since sliced bread /crossthread

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How about not underproducing these things so everyone could have one and there would be no need to riot or fight over them?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but they've got to create the buzz!

Also, how about people act like human beings and start showing a little bit of patience instead of acting like 3-year-olds?

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's kind of amusing to me that there were many cities with riots and Chicago wasn't one of them.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Do reports of riots and fights over these things really make people want them more?
    Is it really a matter of if everyone could have them, nobody would want them?

9. Baron Scicluna

For your first question, yes. People see something they want, they know that there's an alleged limited supply, and they're willing to do anything to get them, including riot. They're worried that they're not going to be "cool" or "hip" (or whatever word passes for that today), if they don't have them, and they're self-esteem is so low, they can't handle not looking cool.

For your second question, I think it's more that people wouldn't be in such a rush to get them if they could get them at anytime they want. They'll just figure that they'll get it after the holidays. But a "limited supply" makes them think they better get them before they won't be able to, and "everyone else" will have them and they'll stick out like sore thumbs.

It reminds me of around 1998, 1999, when I'd see Disney hawking videos announcing "It'll be the last time they will be available in this century!" Oh well, just buy them in 2000 then. But I'm sure that plenty of people panicked and bought them.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No one rioted over Dumbo or Snow White.

11. Baron Scicluna

Of course not. But I'm sure people were fooled into rushing out and buying those tapes because it didn't dawn on them that they'd be able to get them the next year anyways.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

But we did have a few who acted like savages over Cabbage Patch Kids back in the 1980's.

Draft saved Draft deleted