1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People on ESPN (broadcast only) who you like

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Boozeman

Boozeman Member

I'll echo the love for Bob Ley and Trey Wingo... Also feel that Kirk Herbstreit might be the best analyst on TV right now.

Most of their "insider" guys for the NFL and NBA rub me the wrong way, but I don't mind their baseball guys.

I'd love to see Kenny Mayne back anchoring Sportscenter, at least once a week.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Herbstreit understands the college sport, and does his homework before he makes his picks, unlike the vast majority, who fly by the seat of their pants.

They're lucky to have him -- and I hate Ohio State like poison.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

"Beg, Borrow or Deal" on ESPN with Rich Eisen. Far worse. :) Eisen soon left for the NFL Network.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is a good reminder to go into the basement and dig out his book of columns that I bought in the mid-90s by going to the bookstore and making a special order (how quaint). I came of age reading him in The National. Lost my shit every single time. When it comes to sports media commentary, he was at a level nobody has approached since.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pay the man, Shirley. Roll Tide.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with the last statement. Hiring Ian Darke was a master stroke, but that doesn't mean Dellacamera should be pushed. He's been very good in his own right for a long time.

Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick may have had plenty of catchphrases, but there was plenty of substance there. The problem wasn't Keith and Dan, but rather the wannabes who tried to emulate them.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd compare it to 80s heavy metal: Van Halen wasn't the problem, but the dozens of hacky Van Halen imitators.

Draft saved Draft deleted