1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People on ESPN (broadcast only) who you like

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 1, 2011.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

So Ron Franklin's called Holly Rowe a "sweetheart" on air and Jeannine Edwards an "asshole" off it.

Hmmm ...

I love Blackledge and Herbstreit. I get pumped anytime they are doing a game.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Schulman is good. Even keeled and doesn't treat the viewer like a toddler.
    McDonough grew on me over the years, but he's handled a lot of different sports very well.
    Is there a better analyst, both knowledgeable and entertaining, than Raftery? Onions!
    College GameDay continues to be their best show and the best pre-game studio show on the weekend.
    As far as SportsCenter goes ... I couldn't give a rat's ass which wanna be comedian is on the desk.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Seen several names I agree with, but haven't seen Brad Nessler. A pro's pro. And I like Jay Bilas when he has Rafferty to play off of.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletters.

5. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I have to register my extreme disagreement about the SportsCenters after Sunday Night Football. Levy's always been a pro, but John Anderson sucks. (Only Neil Everett sucks more. They, along with Scott Van Pelt, bug me because they give off this irritating look-at-me-I'm'-so-cool-and-hip-and-funny vibe.) And I just can't take Trent Dilfer seriously. He seems to relish giving strong and unconventional opinions, which would be fine if his opinions weren't usually stupid. And every time he opens his mouth, I think: "Why should I care what you say? You're probably the worst quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl, and only did so on the backs of one of the best defenses ever." To top it all off, those segments usually drag on and on, preventing me from watching Berman and Tom Jackson -- not the greatest pair, I'll admit, but one I'm comfortable with after all these years -- do the other highlights.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'd like Bilas more if he weren't such a see-no-evil regarding the gangster aspects of college recruiting.

Just because something IS, doesn't mean it should stay that way. The "Good German" role is really poisonous, and needs to be identified and eradicated, whenever possible.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do away with the paly-by-play person and have two people, maybe two former coaches, talking like they would watching a game at a bar.

"Did you see that kick out block?"

"They just cannot block that guy."

"That safety is way to close to the line of scrimmage in that formation"

And dead air would be OK.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's pretty much what you get with Knight, who's f'n wonderful in his current role.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

10. sixthstjoe

sixthstjoe New Member

Norman Chad.

BTW, does he do anything for ESPN other than poker these days?
    I used to see him on PTI or ATH.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

People who didn't know him when, who only see him mouthe the same six repetitive phrases on the prevailing poker broadcasts, might disagree.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In his day, Chad was one of the great media critics in the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted