1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People on ESPN (broadcast only) who you like

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 1, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

[​IMG]

There's two of them.

And damn you, I just googled "Art Modell" for you and saw his prickish face all around the championship trophy. Goddammit.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Two of the biggest enabling douchebags on Planet Earth.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Four words: I MISS PETER GAMMONS! (But I can catch him on MLB Network.)

Back on topic: Kenny Mayne is great hosting Sportscenter. I about fell over the first time he hosted and I heard his Yahtzee homer call. He seems so misused now.

The NFL Countdown crew is great, and same goes for Fowler and company on College Gameday.

4. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

With NFL Countdown, Chris Berman and Keyshawn Johnson. Really?

5. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Sean McDonough. I think he is an incredibly smooth play-by-play guy.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

A few mentioned here that I like but didn't realize they work for ESPN, because I just don't really pay attention to who works for what network:

Sean McDonough
    Raftery
    Van Gundy
    Ian Darke is amazing.

Neil Everett needs a fist in the face.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

McDonough, Dan Schulman, Raftery, Ian Darke (absolutely the best), Fowler. I hate Neil Everett as well and if I catch the L.A. SportsCenter, I click off immediately.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Even though he's mostly on ABC now, John Saunders.
    Agreed on Mayne ... he's overused as the court jester.
    Berman's been mailing it in for, what, at least 10 years now?

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

Buster Olney and Jason Stark for baseball. Mel Kiper is a must-have near the draft, although I can barely stand draft day because of Berman.

And I listen to Cowherd every day. (So much for my SJ cred)

PTI is entertaining.

10. I've really soured on Kiper over the years. Probably because us who listen to the Sports Reporters on 980 in DC are subjected to a "double-dose" of Kiper once a week during football season. Christ, I want to stab my eardrums with Phillips head screwdrivers. I know he's "paid" to know the draft, but Jesus, YOU ARE AN EXTREMELY WELL PAID PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATOR! TAKE A GOD DAMN BREATH ONCE IN A WHILE AND SLOW THE FUCK DOWN! YOU DO NOT GET A BONUS FOR MOST WORDS SAID IN ONE BREATH.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Come on man!!!!

And a third thumbs up for Sean McDonough. Back in my Mets fanboi days, I used to dislike him b/c of something he may not have even said about the Mets, but the guy is as close to perfect a broadcaster as there is. He just sounds professional, all the time. He knows his stuff and never ever lets it become about him.

Major props, too, for being the son of sports journalism royalty yet still being his own man and criticizing Red Sox ownership, even if it cost him his PBP job in Boston, and being professional enough to go out and do lesser profile sports afterward. Think Joe Buck would ever do any of that?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Co-sign.

Draft saved Draft deleted