1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People Magazine: Jenner "transitioning into a woman"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CowboyCasanova, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because it has pretty much been determined that people who make this "transition" should supported, unequivocally, even teen-agers, and particularly on college campuses. I want to come to an understanding of whether that's actually the right approach.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's the alternative to supporting them? Opposing them?

Mike Huckabee doesn't "get" homosexuality. You don't get transgender issues.

Who cares? Can't we still treat these people with proper compassion, even if we don't fully understand what they are going through?

Or, should we shame them? Make them feel deep pain, embarrassment, and rejection, in addition to the feelings they already have?

Is a "chill up the spine" the reaction we should expect when we learn someone is transgender?

And, I really do find this amusing. For years, we've been beaten over the head, and told we must accept LGBT rights, and lifestyles. Anyone who didn't get on board was a terrible person.

Turns out, a lot of people who claimed to support LGBT rights and attempted to shame those who didn't, hadn't actually thought it through. They didn't support the "T" part of the agenda.

But, I'm glad you all allowed yourselves to feel morally superior for all those years.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And what would be the other approach?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You could just mind your own business.

5. Dick Whitman

I don't equate the two.

6. Dick Whitman

Yeah. Maybe we shouldn't treat schizophrenia, either. Or postpartum depression. Or bipolar disorder.

Someone wants to kill themselves, mind your own business.

7. Dick Whitman

I get that this is a huge "gotcha" issue for you, YF.

Congrats.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible, if not likely, that gender identity is biological, not a mental illness to be treated.

Songbird likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In the entire course of the LGBT movement, I never once heard a supporter clarify that his/her support for the movement didn't include transgender rights.

The transgender community was at the forefront of the LGBT movement. They were the most discriminated against. They were the most visible, and easily identified. And, they were among the first to fight for their rights, and not just decide to wait for acceptance.

The LGBT movement was built on back of their struggle.

And, the movement, and the broad liberal alliance that backed it, was happy to have their support, and to include them in the movement, until the war was nearly over, and mostly won.

Now, with gay marriage an almost non issue, the transgendered community is looking for some attention to their issues, and they are learning they are no longer a part of the coalition they founded. Their rights don't matter, and won't be fought for.

10. Dick Whitman

Agreed.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

tsk, tsk, tsk ...

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

I never even heard "LGBT" until a few years ago. Probably 2009 or so.

What was there to clarify? I think they should be able to marry who they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted