1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People Magazine: Jenner "transitioning into a woman"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CowboyCasanova, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Start of the coffee season keeping him busy?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I truly hope that whatever he does and becomes makes him/her happy, but this is so sad. He must have been miserable his whole life if being a woman was what he always wanted.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, loser pot heads ranks above this topic.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

TigerVols said "good for him," but I'm not so sure it is.

I, too, recall the end months of Mike Penner's transition, and life, and although I was as much of a supporter and as fierce a defender of Mike and his desires and needs as anybody here, that was more because I knew and cared about him. In reality, it is still difficult to even imagine what undergoing gender reassignment would be like.

This is so much more extreme, and different, than just being an effeminate guy or a tomboyish girl, and it's deeper, even, than sexual-orientation issues that may be reflected in homosexuality. Gender identity -- not just an orientation -- would not seem to be something to trifle with. It's difficult to wrap my mind around, quite literally, intentionally messing with Mother Nature and, through the "miracle" of chemicals, literally watching and seeing myself turn from a man into a woman.

I can't imagine actually going through it. I'll be hopeful for him, though, that he will find happiness, as well as the continued apparent love and support that he no doubt will need, and, like all of us, want.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Vombatus likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Did Jenner grow up in an orphanage?

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well said.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a hell of a gamble or whatever, especially at this point in life.
    She'll be a woman at 65. Will the life envisioned still be attainable?

Mike Penner finally made the move. And soon after that he was gone.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I agree with o_t. Very well said. gf lost a family member at age 35 struggling with this. Very sad, and hard to understand everything they go through.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How did they "tell"?

I don't want to get into personal experiences but my understanding is people who change sexes fall into one of two categories. One is where "god made a mistake" and the second is very people who outwardly behaved in accordance with their sex. From a far it would seem that Jenner would be one of the latter.

10. YankeeFan

A year and a half ago, Jennifer Pritzker made the transition at (around) age 63. She's a pretty private person, but there have been no reports of problems.

I would guess that each of them decided they no longer gave a fuck about what anyone else thought, and they were going to live the way they wanted. While there may be regret that they didn't do it sooner, they probably figured this was their last chance to make the transition.

As someone in the public eye, and with an ex-wife so focused on managing publicity, I imagine it won't be easy.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know this irritates YF, but, man, I just don't get it.

Jenner is straight, right?

I don't get it. I know there's something to "get." And I don't.

12. YankeeFan

Sexual preference and sexual identity are two different things.

And, I'm not saying I "get" it either. It's hard to try an imagine what it feels like.

But, I'm not sure why it's important that you or I get it.

Big Circus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted