1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in the newsroom who loudly refer to a college team as 'we'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Mar 8, 2012.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Really? You're getting worked up about this? I will never call a team "we" -- not even my alma mater -- but geez, there are desk guys doing this in every newsroom in America, especially in the sports department. As long as I don't hear the reporters doing it about the team they cover (or one in the same league/NCAA division), I'm not worried about it. It just makes it more fun to crack on them when their team loses.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Based on a lot of the threads on this board, it sure seems like ethics 101 has conditioned a lot of people to miss the forest through the trees. Of course, there is some value to hard-and-fast rules despite the drawback that they will always be under- and over-inclusive. But the focus on petty points like this prevent people from realizing the far more invidious forms of bias that manifest themselves throughout journalism.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

HOW DARE YOU DEMONSTRATE PASSION FOR A SPORTS TEAM. DON'T YOU KNOW IT'S YOUR JOB TO VIEW SPORTS DISPASSIONATELY AT ALL TIMES, WHETHER YOU'RE ON THE CLOCK OR NOT? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"we" just never sounds right unless it's from a player or coach on team.

From someone else it's like nails across a chalk board.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hey that's my line....[/bubbler]

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Seeing as how I paid enough in parking fines that one of the ramps ought to have my fucking name on it, my alma mater is definitely "we" even before they hit me up for money each year.

Wouldn't be shouting it in public though.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I don't like the idea of any of the staff using we, especially writers who might cover the said team. Always rang as way, way homerish to my ears. In fact, it's become a long-running joke in our department because of its silliness.

My stock question, when I hear someone use the word we to describe a sports team: "Do you have a mouse in your pocket?"

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Identifying yourself as "part" of a sports team is such a basic human emotion that I can't rip on someone for taking it a half-step too far and using "we."

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I agree with Boom.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Know your place bitch!!!

I've been a "fanboi" of one team in recent years and that's been supressed a bit by my new job but even at its height, I couldn't make myself use "we." Just a thing. That said, it isn't something I'm going to lose sleep over unless someone uses it about a team they cover. I'm generally on the "what position do you play" train but I'm less bothered by it when it is your alma mater. As noted by many, you did stroke those folks some checks.

I may have said "we" once or twice when VCU went to the Final Four. I did not say "oui" when it asked for a significant donation.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did you ever notice that fans never say "we" with great confidence? There is always a "should I say this"
    pause.

It's rampant on sports call in radio.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

No, not Si'. Wi'.

Draft saved Draft deleted