1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in the newsroom who loudly refer to a college team as 'we'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Christ. Grow up, bitch.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Depends on the college.

If it's the individual's alma mater, that's acceptable.

Depends on the person. If it's the boss, you grin and bear it. If it's some desk jockey, well they can shut up and know their place. If it's someone who went to a tiny school that usually doesn't do anything of note, may as well let them savor their team's appearance in its conference tourney final.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

... are welcome to work in central Pennsylvania?

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My "we" is the Ohio Bobcats.

So, I moved a bit west of Cincinnati and the topic just never comes up.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's never we unless you play on said team during said season.

6. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

This kind of stuff also bothered me in my 20s and 30s. Now, I just can't seem to get that worked up about it. On my list of things to get offended by or about, this isn't a priority anymore.

I'm trying to relax more and let some stuff go, especially things like the behavior of others, because most of it I can't change anyway.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ding-a-ding ding-a-ding-ding.

I've brought the pom-pom shaking to an icy halt a few times by shouting out, " 'We?' And how many suicides did you run at the last practice?"

Actually, I've been on all four sides of the equation: I've been a player, I've been a coach, I've been a fan, and I've been in the media. And speaking for categories 1 and 2:

If you're not ON THE TEAM .... You're. Not. On. The. Team.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but this is one of the silliest goddamn complaints that gets dragged out here.

I went to the school, I have a degree from the school, I wrote thousands of dollars in checks to the school, I can sure as hell call the school "we" if I want to. God knows the school sure thinks it's a "we" relationship when it's looking for donations.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

What amazes me is there are reporters who see nothing wrong with using "we."

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What PCLL said. Have to agree with those who believe it's OK to say we when referring to an alma mater. I don't do it, but it doesn't bother me. If it's a pro team, no.

11. mb

mb Active Member

Holy crap. If I'm in the newsroom, I'm damn sure gonna bust out with a couple of "we sucks". But maybe I'm just a "desk jockey" and don't know any better.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are these sports folks or other departments?

Draft saved Draft deleted