1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in Sports Revered in Death or Retirement Wo Were Jerks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Feb 23, 2018.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Kurt Bevacqua!

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"Hey, Tommy, where's my limousine, ya fat little Italian!?!"

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lasorda always comes to mind. It isn't so much that people "cover" for him, it's that everyone knows he's a jerk, but acts like he's beloved.
    Stewart had that "oh, he found God and had changed thing" going. FWIW, I don't think you ever mention what a jerk someone is, or their shortcoming after they die. Not so much out of respect to them, but out of respect to their loved ones. Don't understand those who feel the need to throw in a "but...." on an RIP thread, or figure it is their last chance to "correct or amend the record."

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

You're a fucking motherfucking big mouth; I'll tell you that!

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But what's your opinion of Kingman's performance?

6. Slacker

"LOL. Oh, yeah? Well, I guar-an-fuckin'-tee ya, when you pitched, ya fat little toad, it was that fuckin' D-ball shit down down in Concord, North Caro-fuckin'-lina, in front of 13 fuckin' people, and 11 of 'em was the fuckin' grounds crew from Kanna-fuckin'-apolis!"

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. If you don't want people calling you an asshole when you're dead, don't be an asshole when you're alive.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bob Knight

(I'm kidding. Everybody knows he's a dick).

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can still call them an a-hole, just wait a few days.

10. Slacker

Norm Stewart? Buddy Ryan? Billy Martin? ... Not Billy, though. Great manager, frustrated when drinkng.

But: George Steinbrenner? Jerk Store mascot.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But weren't those guys ALWAYS known to be assholes (less so with Stewart, but definitely with Martin, Steinbrenner and Ryan)? The glaringly obvious assholes aren't really who I interpreted this thread as being about.

And, btw, has anyone mentioned Ted Williams yet? From what I've heard, you did not want to approach that guy when he was in the wrong mood.

12. Slacker

Also, Paul Brown ... and Kirby Puckett.

Draft saved Draft deleted