1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in Sports Revered in Death or Retirement Wo Were Jerks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Feb 23, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This debate has started on another, unrelated thread and I thought it is an interesting question.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have not heard good things from people who have interacted with Willie Mays.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Willie Mays? Wo is that?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

thread title aside, wo actually comes to mind immediately are Vince Lombardi and Payne Stewart.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All of them.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I covered a charity golf event Pete Rose was at after he got sprung and Mays was there and was a dick.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Factual. When Barry Bonds was at peak asshole, he might not have been the biggest asshole in the San Francisco clubhouse.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I was a little crushed to learn that Joe Carter is kind of dick when there aren't cameras on him.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

DiMaggio

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Jeter. CC: @YankeeFan

(No but really he's always been a jerk)

Armchair_QB and YankeeFan like this.
  12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It was entertaining and surreal watching Bonds trying to be sociable and not a sociopath in his one year as Marlins hitting coach. It was quite cunning and intelligent. The inner asshole still shone thru sometimes--he was always the alpha male reminding you how great he is--but it was funny to see him engage in small talk about cycling and electronics and whatnot. Say what you want about Roger Clemens, God knows I have, but he's too stupid to realize sucking up to Hall of Fame voters would probably help him get into the Hall of Fame. (I don't think Bonds being nice is going to sway too many voters, but if you're going to barely get the 75% necessary, one or two easily influenced people could make all the difference)

britwrit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted