1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People competing in forensics tournaments are...?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apeman33, Mar 9, 2010.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Asked from the perspective of being the interim managing editor (55 weeks and counting!), what is a competitor in a forensics tournament called?

I think it's "forensor," and I seem to remember it that way when I was in high school.

The coach here uses "forensicator" which sounds awful (even without the obvious puns).

Any suggestions?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Orator.
    At least that's what I was when I kicked ass in a forensics competition in high school.
    I think it was called forensics. A long time ago it 'twas. You give speeches and jank?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. apeman33

I also asked some other friends. One of them said "forensicator" actually appears to be a word but "forensor" isn't.

I'm going to go with "forensics competitor."

If "forensicator" is OK, then they'd better not give me shit next fall when I speak of "master debators." :D

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Like Moddy, I have some experience in this field. We were simply "speechies."

That's probably not the technical, AP-approved style.

6. apeman33

I remember looking the last time that "forensicator" appeared in the coach's summary. Nothing in the style guide about it. And I have some of my friends saying "neither are in the dictionary." One of them, who was a forensics person said, "We just called ourselves forensics competitors."

So there's some irony in that people who are masters of linguistic skill in this manner have no consensus on a word to describe themselves.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The only way I would use "forensicator" is in a feature story explaining what a forensicator is and what he or she does. It's just not a word you can use as a passing reference. Otherwise, I would call them competitors in a forensics contest -- and I still have no idea what is involved in a forensics contest.

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

It's speech and debate.

You're a speaker or a debater.

Now, if you're a speaker or debater at an overnight tournament you might be fornicator.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Why don't they just call it speech or debate? Forensics sounds to me like they're scraping underneath fingernails, lifting prints off murder weapons, and matching up DNA evidence. I guess the CSIization of the country has altered the meaning of the word.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Nah, Qincy M.E. was doing that long before CSI ever came along.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

.....not getting coverage in my section. Beg all you want.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because if they did, then you'd have to cover the JV forensics tournaments. Make sure all the cadavers' names are spelled right.

Draft saved Draft deleted