1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People are so mad at the governor of Indiana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 28, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You mean, like the Indy Star did when it exposed that Mike Pence was creating a state-run media outlet to hopefully eventually render the Star irrelevant?

Of course Pence can do this if he wants. And he can get criticized for it, too. And, I'm sure it's totally just an oversight that an experienced and polished politician called it a "news service" instead of "a website for press releases," and it's totally just a miscommunication that its mission is to "break news" ahead of traditional media outlets.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why is Mike Pence supposed to defer to the Indianapolis Star?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He can call it an aardvark, and it wouldn't be the worst misuse of language by a politician ever. It is what it is. In the strict sense of the word, it is a news service in that news is noteworthy information that was previously unknown.

4. MisterCreosote

He doesn't HAVE to do shit. Seeing the reaction to this, though, he rethought what he was going to do.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that in the long run this is going to be a mistake by the governor, because it's going to remove "I didn't say that" or "I was taken out of context" from his bag of excuses when he inevitably contradicts himself as all politicians do. That sounds at least plausible when the background article comes from somewhere else.

6. Dick Whitman

Right. But why should he defer to the Indianapolis Star?

Look, I understand that yours seems to be the majority reaction. I'm just not quite sure why that is.

Was/is Mike Pence going to run a shitty "news" service? Of course he is.

So what? Why is that a threat and, further, what is he doing wrong?

7. Dick Whitman

Word on the street is that APSE is already trying to get one of Pence's reporters to judge its contest next year. #OldDebates

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure our government was created not to control the press but the press was given broad powers to act as a watchdog.

So I guess Mike Pence doesn't have to defer to the Indianapolis Star if he hates the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

9. MisterCreosote

Well, there's also the whole, "using taxpayer money to provide a 'service' no one needs" thing.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Yeah, that's a different objection and a legitimate one.

11. Dick Whitman

The Indianapolis Star's First Amendment rights are being violated here?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

State-run news services are only a danger to anyone when independent news outlets are also made illegal -- leaving the state-run outlet as the only source of propaganda. That isn't the case here. It also is likely not going to get much attention from anyone.

If you want to complain about the fact that this is likely a waste of money at the expense of the state of Indiana, great. I'd probably be on board with that. But that wasn't what I was first hearing.

This is a state-run news service the way the White Press Office is a state run news service. It's a silly entity that tries to influence public opinion, but there is nothing squashing a free and independent media from contradicting what it puts out.

Draft saved Draft deleted