1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penultimate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 14, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Cran, that's very cool.

What the hell does it mean?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My take: Say what you mean. If you try to be "erudite" or too highfalutin', I'm editing it and I'm telling you why I did it.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Wasn't there a crusty old scribe who once said, "Send them to the dictionary once every story."?

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Next-to-last works for me.

Every now and then, I use a word in a story that I wouldn't think twice about using, and then my wife (who has a master's degree) tells me she's never heard that word and doesn't know what it means. I try not to use that word again, because I'm pretty sure she's smarter than a large percentage of our readers.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm from the same school. Problem is, sometimes I mean penultimate.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Then you are saying in a nutshell that you are smarter than your wife?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Damn, does this mean I can't use ``redoubtable?'' I love that word.

That's a huge problem. Too often writers throw in big words to show how smart they are -- and they use them wrong, proving exactly the opposite. Hell, it happens with everyday words all the time.

It means you're obviously not a desk guy.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You can't complain about the dumbing down of America on one hand and then argue over a perfectly useful, serviceable word.

Using "penultimate" doesn't mean you're trying to flaunt your erudition.

Maybe it's Bush's fault. He's been a shining beacon of idiocy for seven years now.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As always, context is everything.

You don't use it just to use it. That is simply being showy with language. You use it when it's the correct word to use.

The trick is knowing which is which.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Weather Channel forecaster -- I forget her name, but she's one of two black women who get on camera, so it's Eboni Dean or the other one -- just used "penultimate" to describe tomorrow's third round of the Tour Championship. But the closed captioner typed it as ultimate. Not sure what if anything that proves. Other than that there's a chance Weather Channel forecasters read SportsJournalists.com. In which case, Stephanie Abrams' phone number pls kthx.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The closed captions get things wrong all the time, sometimes laughably so. I remember once watching some live event and someone said ``coffee.'' It came out on the closed captions as ``coughy.''

Draft saved Draft deleted