1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penultimate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Perhaps, but I also think we do them a disservice if we try to talk over their heads just because we can. Using the words awkwardly does nobody any good, and my guess is a lot of the people who think they can do it right, really can't. Our job is to, first and foremost, report the news clearly and concisely. Needlessly obscure or complicated words and references get in the way. And if penultimate is one of those words, then excise it. But know your audience. The New York Times can get away with writing in a style that the Daily Shopper-Gazette can't. Or shouldn't.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

In order to make the readers more educated, we should all pick a word out of the dictionary at random and implement it into our stories. I will start...why did I have to pick "flocci­nauci­nihili­pili­fication". There goes the neighborhood.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A newspaper story is not a vocabulary test. And it's not like you're deciding between "penultimate" and "tree"

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Or as the old saying goes, eschew obfuscation.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Certainly not. No one should write trying to catch people off-guard and beat them with the broom of highbrow. But sometimes that's the unintended effect. For instance, the word xenophobia. Obviously Greek and, without knowing what it is, confusing as balls. I can certainly imagine people who haven't heard the word, maybe college students, reading this in a paper and thinking, "what the hell?"
    But it's still a useful word with specific meaning. Doesn't make it a no-no.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It has a very specific and clear meaning. It streamlines your writing by saving two words, and two hyphens. It's not some hybrow French or Latin phrase. It's English. Use it when necessary.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Use them correctly and your readers will get it. As in, "Wimbledon is the penultimate Grand Slam tennis fortnight of the year."

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Once, maybe twice a career.

Got to be clear from the context, though.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Stop 100 people in the street and ask them what penultimate means and I'll bet no more than 10 percent of the responses get it right. Don't use it.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I agree with Martin Enigmatic.

Penultimate is a perfectly good word. There's nothing "fancy" or "highbrow" about it.

Christ, before you know it some peope will want everything to be a combination of one syllable words and pictures.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Then write for the 10% and let the others catch up.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When I was with AP I always enjoyed making editing changes in the penultimate graf just so I could write editor notes like, AM-Bus Plunge, 3rd Ld - Writethru, Eds: ADDS detail throughout; DELETES redundant "fiery pit" in fourth graf;CORRECTS spelling of Smith in penultimate graf. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted