1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penultimate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm not surprised a bit. Witness the pyrrhic victory thread and the passions it triggered (including from me).

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'd be willing to bet more people know what penultimate means than Pyrrhic. In fact, I didn't really realize penultimate was such a fancy word at all. Not sure I'd waste it in on a run-of-the-mill gamer. But a feature, or column, if it flowed with the rhythm and poetry of the sentence? I've got no problem with that.

3. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

I have no idea what Pyrrhic means, but I used Penultimate in a headline back in the spring.

Wasieulsky is penultimate
    By Steve Ross
    Staff Writer
    Susie Wasieulsky proved to be the penultimate when she won the pentathlon at the adidas Invitational.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Senor Marquez,

She wouldn't have won. She would have finished seventh in an eight-woman field. Further, why not the hepultimate? Was this a modern pentathlon?

YHS, etc

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Double ouch. Putting aside my enmity of penultimate, that's inexcusable pun-ishment on the hed and the copy. And the one in the copy is a fact error; she wasn't next to last, she was first.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah. Wow.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

PENULTIMATE STRIKES AGAIN!!!!

Bill Conlin in a PDN column about the Phillies. For your enjoyment...

Draft saved Draft deleted