1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pentagon (doesn't) uncover dastardly Canadian spying on Americans!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: Pentagon uncovers dastardly Canadian spying on Americans!

I knew JR, HC, Huggy and Double J were up to something. Perhaps our special guest was in on it, too. ;)

2. Re: Pentagon uncovers dastardly Canadian spying on Americans!

I'd believe this, too, if it wasn't about people giving other people money.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's clear that Mike Richter was privy to government secrets at the time.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Those f-ing Canadians will go to any length to never allow the Cup to travel south of their border again!

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

One of my favorite scenes from possibly my favorite episode.

And has Jones been cleared yet?

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

UPDATE: CANADA EXONERATED

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/18/america/NA-GEN-US-Spy-Coins.php

Reversing itself, the Defense Department now acknowledges that a U.S. government espionage report it produced warning about Canadian coins with tiny radio frequency transmitters hidden inside was not true.

The Defense Security Service said it never could substantiate its own published claims about the mysterious coins. It has launched an internal review to determine how the false information was included in a 29-page report about espionage concerns.

http://www.dss.mil/dss_coin_announce.htm

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

All part of the Canadian intelligence agencies' plan to foist Celine Dion and William Shatner on the good old US of A.

JR, maybe George Bush and the US government can't figure it out, but I can.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Uncle Fucker!
    [​IMG]

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070507/ap_on_go_ot/spy_coins_7
    'Poppy quarter' behind spy coin alert

An odd-looking Canadian coin with a bright red flower was the culprit behind a U.S. Defense Department false espionage warning earlier this year about mysterious coin-like objects with radio frequency transmitters, The Associated Press has learned.

The harmless "poppy coin" was so unfamiliar to suspicious U.S. Army contractors traveling in Canada that they filed confidential espionage accounts about them. The worried contractors described the coins as "anomalous" and "filled with something man-made that looked like nano-technology," according to once-classified U.S. government reports and e-mails obtained by the AP.

The silver-colored 25-cent piece features the red image of a poppy — Canada's flower of remembrance — inlaid over a maple leaf. The unorthodox quarter is identical to the coins pictured and described as suspicious in the contractors' accounts.

The supposed nano-technology actually was a conventional protective coating the Royal Canadian Mint applied to prevent the poppy's red color from rubbing off. The mint produced nearly 30 million such quarters in 2004 commemorating Canada's 117,000 war dead.

"It did not appear to be electronic (analog) in nature or have a power source," wrote one U.S. contractor, who discovered the coin in the cup holder of a rental car. "Under high power microscope, it appeared to be complex consisting of several layers of clear, but different material, with a wire like mesh suspended on top."

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As they say, you can't make this shit up.

This is Monty Python worthy. From the Toronto Star story:

Intelligence and technology experts were flabbergasted over the warning when it was first publicized earlier this year. The warning suggested that such transmitters could be used surreptitiously to track the movements of people carrying the coins.

"I thought the whole thing was preposterous, to think you could tag an individual with a coin and think they wouldn't give it away or spend it," said H. Keith Melton, a leading intelligence historian.

But Melton said the Army contractors properly reported their suspicions. "You want contractors or any government personnel to report anything suspicious," he said. "You can't have the potential target evaluating whether this was an organized attack or a fluke."

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

God, I just posted another Uncle Fucker on an unrelated thread and had this brought back up. Karma's a bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted