1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pentagon can't account for 190,000 guns we gave Iraqis (sigh...)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Another news items that makes you roll your eyes -- $19 BILLION spent since this f'ing thing began to rearm and set up Iraq military. Now, that's money well spent.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/06/iraq.weapons.reut/index.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Heckuva job, Brownie...

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Looks like someone just earned their Presidential Medal of Freedom and the NRA Lifetime Achievement Award at the same time.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Really, though, what use are 190,000 military weapons in the Middle East?

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I thought about posting that when the news broke about a week ago but backed away.

What's new, really? Anyone who has followed how the misfits running this war have operated will simply shrug.

I wish we'd learn that this administration is trying to fuck up this spectacularly. I'd sleep better.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit. The line was set at 200,000 and I had the over.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Drunken barn dance?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

One of the more surreal experiences of my life: Standing in line for an cash machine in Jerusalem.

The two guys ahead of me had M-16s strapped across their backs.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know there is opposition to gun control but this is taking things a little too far.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When I did the Jamaica thing, being driving to every assignment by a company driver, we'd be behind military jeeps often, and in the back of those jeeps were soldiers holding their machine guns, fingers near the triggers. And many of the roads in Kingston are badly broken, so many times behind these jeeps I always feared a jeep would go over a bump and a soldier would accidentally pull the trigger and shoot long bullets through the windshield of our car and kill me.

There was another time in Trench Town, but I'll save that for another time.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Go to any Army training base (Fort Irwin, Grafenwoehr) and you'll see the same.

If the M16s were body-slung, at least they weren't locked and loaded. (I hope.)

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We got used to seeing it after a few days. But it's still more than a little jarring. Especially at a bar cash machine.

Draft saved Draft deleted