1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penske buys IndyCar, IMS and maybe even Indianapolis itself

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 4, 2019.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Being in Indy, this is the biggest sports/news story since the Colts came to town. Maybe bigger.

Just weird to think it's not family-owned anymore, though most in the know would tell you that being family-owned hasn't always been a good thing (see George, Tony). When the company spun off Clabber Girl earlier this year, that was a sign that maybe something bigger was in the works. In the long run, it's probably a good move. But the family would have made a helluva lot more money selling decades ago.

From a competitive standpoint at IndyCar and the Indy 500, not sure I like it. This is like the Yankees buying MLB. And I can't see Penske stepping back from his race teams and trying to win the 500, which he cherishes above everything else in his life.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

At the very least, the track and the series are in the hands of someone who loves and reveres them.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

and can run a business

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  5. playthrough

Penske calls it "the IRL" in the press conference ... oof.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I occasionally see old Clabber Girl ads as wall decor at the Cracker Barrel. Had no idea it was still a thing.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I think it's a good move. Penske will put the finish line before the bottom line.
    Although, at 82, I'm not sure how long he will be doing much of anything.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "I like you, IRL."

"It's IndyCar, sir."

"IndyCar"

garrow, TigerVols and playthrough like this.
  9. playthrough

He said he'll be stepping off the pit box at the 500 because he'll have bigger things to do, and that pleasantly surprised me. He'll make some significant changes around IMS and the series. And because there are so few motorsports media left, plus many in the Indy media draw checks from IMS/IndyCar, he won't face a lot of hard questions while doing it. But overall, I think it's a good move.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So do I.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I interviewed Penske once. It was in a luxury suite at Bristol. He was as nice and as accommodating as anyone and wouldn't let me and another guy go after the interview until we sat down and refreshed ourselves in the suite. He insisted. We obliged.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Water and a nosh? Moist towelette? Shower and a massage?

Draft saved Draft deleted