1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pens

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 16, 2006.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Damn. No Panthers.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

As a lefty, I find it hard to use a reporter's notebook. Just the funny way I hold a pen I guess. I always use a leagal pad and leave a left margin of two or three inches. I'm happy the pencil keepers don't see the waste.

As for the pencils, that's funny right there I don't care who you are.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Pilot G2s are generally the best pens I've ever used. I occasionally get one (or in the case of yesterday, two) that don't want to produce, but it's one or two out of about 30-40. For all those who've mentioned pencil, I appreciate the positives, but don't try to tell me that using a pencil on a wet piece of paper is any better than pen. Sure, the ink gets smudged, but at least the paper is still intact.

By the way, thanks to the both of you who mentioned the rainrite notebooks. That's a solid 20-30 bucks down the drain, but well worth it, I'm hoping.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Don't let Moddy's wife come to my house -- I have more pens floating around here than an office supply store.

I am also a fan of the Pilot gel pens -- I HAVE to have them when I cover a game, and I have yet to have one freeze on me (and if it didn't last Friday night, it simply isn't going to.)

I usually have two or three of them in my purse at all times.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Seriously, I've noticed this. Statistics show that 11 percent of the world population is left-handed. Doesn't that figure skyrocket among journalists? I'd say one-third of journalists, myself included, are left-handed (of the ones I've met, at least).

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

on our baseball beat, all of the regular beat writers are left-handed. and so is the main radio guy (not sure about his new partner)

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Then, it's obviously worthless.

Seriously, I've rarely been in places where excessively cold weather played games with my pens. PaperMates have worked well for me for years. Good enough for me, and also inexpensive and available enough should something happen to it, or someone need to borrow one and conveniently not return it.

Then there's the Pentel mechanical pencil. The 0.5 with the black body, and sliver clamp, et al. Had two over the last 10 years ... durable, dependable and every other glowing compliment one can throw at it.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If I was ever at a paper like that, I'd say the hell with that, go out to the local Staples/Office Max/Office Depot/Target, and buy my notebooks there. Then keep MY notebooks under lock and key at my desk.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

god, i loved those

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm a fan of the Fine Point Zebra pens, in blue. But I used a mech. pencil last Friday, just in case.

The Zebra fine point is money, though.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You knew the Cowboys and Steelers pencils were going to be stolen by your buddies, but you could always rely on having the Bills, Saints and Baltimore Colts.

Draft saved Draft deleted