1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pens

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 16, 2006.

1. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I use Bic Velocity Gel 0.7, red.

Can't find them locally. I mail-order my pens. How lame is that?

With that said, my pens > your pens. Unless you use Bic Velocity Gel 0.7, red.

2. Mira

Mira Member

$3.85 for a waterproof Reporter's notebook? I want to buy a dozen or so and expense them. I can hear my editor now, "You spent how much on notebooks?"

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Uniball Visions and Pilot Hi-Techpoint. Ultimately, it's all about the smoothness of the roll so you can scribble as quickly as possible.
    Sometimes, on the road, I expense them. Otherwise I bite the bullet because they're worth it.

As for hotel pens, the Four Seasons retractables last forever and write like crazy. On the rare occasions I'm in one, I thief every one I can find.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's definitely good to carry a pencil or two, especially for an outdoor event because the ink can freeze. Other than that though, I usually use free pens from hotels or pharmaceutical companies (my wife is in the medical industry).

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Amen. I haven't found a pen that won't stain a left pinky. Doesn't matter. I wear it as a badge of honor. As for Papermates...I tossed one across the room this morning. I used Pilots for the longest time but they always smeared not only my hand but the paper.

Now I use the Uni-ball Signo, but Im thinking about switching to something that twists or clicks. I'm getting tired of chasing the pen cap around.

We can expense pens, paper and the such, though they did say something to us recently about the price of pens, so I suspect that will be short lived in which case I'll have to start stealing pens from the ad department.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I grade papers in orange Sharpie, and write in black. I'm also a big fan of the mechanical pencil.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the v5 is good for me

that's why i hate pencils. when i was a kid, i started doing math in pen and it would drive my teachers crazy. but i hated having the pencil hand because i was left handed. it was a good thing i was really good in math and rarely made mistakes, i guess.

gotta go with the v5 or uniball micro

i spend money on pens. can't stand cheap pens. curse of the lefty.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Uniball micro, blue. That's how I roll.
    Slight threadjack: I used to work at a dump where we bought our own notebooks...had to give some unpleasant troll of a secretary a buck then she would unlock a filing cabinet and hand over a notebook. Anyone hear of this crap?

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

Pilot G-2 05. I can use the 07s but only if I'm writing notes and not keeping score. I keep about 6 or 7 in my bag and 2-3 in my pocket.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bic four-color, medium point. Blue, black, red and green inks in one barrel. Can't beat it for football notes or baseball notes/scorebook.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks.

First job I had out of college, the paper didn't have the reporters' notebooks, just steno pads. So another guy and I went in on a case of reporters' notebooks from a supply house.

Before that paper got steno pads, word was that you took all your notes on copy paper. And you did have to turn in pencil stubs to get a new pencil. But you didn't have to pay for it.

12. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted