1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pens

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Maybe if you didn't put them in your back pocket you wouldn't have sat on them and they wouldn't have exploded. Just a thought.

And my pen of choice is the Zebra F-402. Refillable and never fails, even if it does sound like a reject fighter plane from the Korean War.

2. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Liquid Expresso, very fine point for fair weather and indoors; pencil for night games and winter.

3. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

http://www.riteintherain.com/

You can thank me later.

:)

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Where else can you find a message board that has multiple pages devoted to a thread on pens?
    (Although, I must add that I did think this was of the Lemieux-Crosby variety at first.)

My pens? Two varieties: hotel and anything that comes free to the office in a news release. A random handful includes one from Ford (writes very well), GM (heavy, don't like it), one from that tax service that uses the Statue of Liberty in its advertising (not practical since it has a four-inch replica of the statue on top of it) and some purple one from whatever www.manugistics.com is.

I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a pen.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Space pens are the greatest. You can take notes in the rain and they'll write no matter how cold it is.

6. doublej

doublej New Member

When I took a sports journalism class in college the first day our professor told us to always use pencil instead of pens. We thought he was a nut job but maybe he was on to something.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Pentel Liquid EnerGel Ink 0.7 mm ballpoint. Locked and loaded.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Those used to be my pen of choice, I've gone over to Sharpie. It's a rainbow of colors!

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Pencil points break and get dull, too. It's best to have a variety of things and better that none of them cost a lot, because you end up losing them.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I thought everybody in this business used hotel pens they picked up on the road. Learn something new every day, I guess.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't get me going on pens. My wife thinks I need to see someone. There's like 2,394,101 pens around the house from a variety of stores, hotels, etc. I know where all of them go and God help you if you mess with one of them.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm a southpaw. The moniker "ink-stained wretch" was invented for my kind. ;D

I use Papermates mostly, much to my chagrin. I'm not a big fan. When I get too frustrated with them, which is often, I switch back to Pilots.

Years of Pilot use has left the underside of my left hand in a permanent smattering of black and blue, with a little red mixed in from the occasional Sharpie.

Viva la lefty!

Draft saved Draft deleted