1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pens

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 16, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that... [/backing away slowly, looking for a way out]

2. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I usually keep a coupla golf pencils in my bag, and stick one in my pocket when I know I might need one, either because of rain, or for when I find myself in one of New England's very cold rinks...I think every one of my jackets has a stray pencil floating in a pocket (what's a washing machine?)

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dan is right. Always carry a pencil in New England.
    As for pens, my oldest son was 10 before he learned Marriott was a hotel chain and not a pen company.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I can't carry pens in my pocket. I'm afraid it'll puncture my scrotum. [/costanza]

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Like Smasher, I'm a fan of the PaperMate Flairs (whooo!). Like Bubbler, I color code the fuck out of them. Usually I only have to do it for football, trying to coordinate the pen color with the team color (uniform, not race, so don't even). One for the home team, one for the visiting team, and if I'm feeling particularly jaunty, red for penalties (unless one of the teams is wearing red, then I pick out a third color).

I can get Flairs at work in the main four colors (black, red, blue, green) but I also bought a 12-pack on sale from Staples that had oddball colors. Already lost the orange one. Most of the others are too pastel to work, though if anyone feels the need to wear magenta, I've got you covered. There's a first-year school that has, I shit you not, silver and Honolulu Blue as its colors. EH-EH. You're getting black and you're liking it.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I usually use the Bic Ultra, which is a little better than the cheap old Bics.

Try getting a couple of those hand warmers that you break open in the cold weather. You can get usually get them at any sporting good stores and I see CVS and Walgreens are carrying them now.

5-10 minutes before game time, open the package, let the cold air hit it to activate it and it will warm right up. Put them in your pocket with your pens. Switch your pens up every so often to keep the ink from freezing.

Were yours medium or fine point, taters?
    I always use medium. Maybe the fine points freeze up quicker (that's just a guess, don't actually know that).

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'll try anything 14 times.

8. Mira

Mira Member

There is no pen finer than the medium PaperMate blue instrument.

They manufacture waterproof Reporter's notebooks? Wow, I never heard of that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Smallpotatoes reporting for duty.

10. KP

KP Active Member

That one was on the local FOX affiliate last night.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am all about the Jetstreams. Black or blue. Last year it got about as cold as it ever will in these parts and it didn't even hesitate. They're about 5 bucks for a pack of two, but it goes back to the company.

12. the Uniball Impact RT rocks

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted