1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pennsylvania to sue NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of course. I have family members who are lawyers. You would not believe the stories of people who sue over nonsense stuff. I couldn't take their money with a straight face. I'd tell them to get over it and get a life.

I am proud to say I have never sued anyone or anything. At least I practice what I preach.

2. If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do post a photo. I always assumed you were a clown anyway, so nothing surprises me.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Here is what I don't get and haven't read anything about:

Penn State agreed to the sanctions. Rather than prolonging the story and facing the Committee on Infractions -- which would have been facing pressure to napalm Penn State football -- the university accepted the NCAA equivalent of a plea deal. Unless I missed something, Penn State was not forced to accept this deal. They could have gone through the normal NCAA infractions process. But it wasn't in Penn State's interest to keep fighting about it and it wasn't in the NCAA's interest to explain which NCAA rules were actually broken. So I don't understand what legal theory the state has for suing the NCAA over an deal that Penn State agreed to.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It said the suit was filed in antitrust court, which makes even less sense.

Bottom line: Corbett doesn't want anyone asking questions about his actions in this case — or lack thereof.

Which only makes me more convinced that the truth about "who knew what and when" is uglier than anyone wants to believe.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's probably true, too.

I guess the theory is Penn State was coerced into agreeing to something without the Board of Trustees voting on it. They'll find some technicality. I was really surprised at how fast it all went down, given the NCAA's history and timeline of doing stuff. I do think it was rushed and sort of a knee-jerk reaction to pile on. And that's why I was surprised that Penn State agreed to anything.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ha. wonder where half the board is right about now?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Lets not forget that the Governor was very hands on in making sure a certain geriatric geezer lost his job in the wake of this in November, 2011. I can't see the guy doing an about face on this and suddenly realizing, "hey, this isn't fair." Otherwise, why wasn't this suit filed within days of the NCAA's decision, rather than five months later?

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

As pointed out, the AP story says this will be an antitrust lawsuit. (We could learn differently tomorrow, but that's what the story says now.)

That wouldn't have anything to do with the $60 million or how/where it's spent. They're going after the NCAA as an organization, and challenging whatever standing it may or may not have to impose sanctions.

If (big if) this suit is found to have merit and be allowed to move forward, a decision (also an if) could weaken or strengthen the NCAA.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The mouth-breathing Penn State fan base has argued that Penn State didn't agree to the sanctions. Instead, according to them, the university president overstepped his legal authority when he signed the agreement without consulting the school's Board of Trustees first. Whether that's true or not I suspect that position will be part of the suit.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

then penn state shouldn't accept the sanctions, the fines and do everybody a favor and play something other than ncaa football and all other sports for that matter. see ya, child rape U. i know i'm not going to miss you.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There is actually an interesting argument to be made that Penn State was treated in an arbitrary and capricious manner, and then coerced into agreeing to the $60M fine (and much more obviously, but the money is what draws the commonwealth in) under threat of having the entire athletic department essentially nuked by a cartel with no legitimate competition. It might not be a winning case, but it deserves a hearing.

The trouble is, of course, you feel dirty for saying that, like when you have to say the Klan has free speech rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.