1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pennsylvania state football finals!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'm sorry to see I'm (so far) the only one to pick Liberty.

Tim Moncman, the Canes' head coach, was our DC back in my college days... first guy to buy me a legal shot, actually. I'm really happy to see him succeed on his own. And I see one of his assistants is Jim Tkach, who took Northern Lehigh from an undistinguished program into a winner. He grew up in the same town as I, though he was several years older, and our families had always been pretty tight. It was just over a year and a half ago that the oldest of his two boys, who had struggled with depression and OCD his whole life, committed suicide.

So I will park any objectivity at the door. Go 'Canes.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The Mid-Penn's power schools were truly down ... so down that State College was the best they had. Cumberland Valley had seven first-half turnovers in a D-3 finals loss to Wilson West Lawn. McDevitt was very, very young, an all-soph backfield, but their QB, Matt Johnson, had a rating around 180 and is going to be big-time in two years.

Harrisburg ... well, in the words of alumnus Denny Green, "They were what we thought they were." Athletic and brain-dead.

Southern Columbia was again right there, but not quite what they have been. They suffered losses to Selinsgrove and Mount Carmel that they wouldn't have during the title run. And those two clubs both went to states.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Shoot, Hustle, that's enough to make me root for 'em.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

As you can see, I edited slightly, changing 'only' to 'last' -- forgot about Keystone's trip in 1989. Smethport went in '92. The WPIAL isn't invincible, but they sure do have our number.

Ah, the Quips -- I still remember the 1988 game against Bradford, the year the state championships started. Remember Sean Gilbert? He played LINEBACKER for Aliquippa. Score was something like 56-16, and Bradford scored the last two TDs ...

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I was at Keystone's state final that year, at Middletown High School in one of those strange years before they put all the finals in one spot. Those of us on staff who were at that game shall never forget it.

Keystone goes down something like 24-0 late in the second quarter. And the entire Keystone side is silent except for one guy who sounded strangely like Myron Cope. And in the middle of this silence, this one fan beseeches his team:

"BOYS! BOYS! You're not playing KEYYYY-Stone football!! Go back to the plays that WORK!!"

That line is uttered in our office at least once every three weeks during each football season.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Gotta love those Knox Crazies.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Outstanding. :D

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Steel-High
    TJ
    West Catholic
    Bethel Park
    _____

No Ampipe AGAIN? ;D

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No Greenville or Reynolds? I pass.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A Mid-Penn team didn't win D-3 AAAA? I though they had that by birthright.

Is George Chaump still at Harrisburg?

As you can see, I am way out of the loop. Need to read PennLive one of these days or something. :D

Didn't know Denny Green was a Harrisburg grad.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, Chaump is still at the 'Burg. With George Curry's retirement last week, there's now only one guy who can X-and-O with him -- Tim Rimpfel at Cumberland Valley.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Steel High, T.J., West Catholic and Bethel Park.

Draft saved Draft deleted