1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pennsylvania state football finals!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Dec 11, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, you got anything better to do for five minutes? Then pick the dang games!

Live from Hersheypark Stadium, the sweetest place on Earth! ;)

1 p.m. Friday: Class A, Steelton-Highspire vs. Clairton

The Steel-High Steamrollers (15-0) are located about 3 miles out of Harrisburg and 20 minutes from the stadium. They are looking for their second consecutive Class A title. They have the state's all-time career rushing leader in senior TB Jeremiah Young (8,946 yards).

The Clairton Bears (15-0) are a suburban Pittsburgh club which didn't give up more than 7 points in any game until slipping past Farrell 24-21 in the Western final. WR Kevin Weatherspoon averages 26.2 yards a catch; Dave Wannstedt allegedly has him on speed-dial.

7 p.m. Friday: Class AAA, Archbishop Wood vs. Thomas Jefferson

The Archbishop Wood Vikings (12-2) will create a little piece of history Friday night as the first team from Philadelphia to play in a state football final. The Catholic League champs had five consecutive shutouts late in the regular season.

The Thomas Jefferson Jaguars (14-1), less than 10 miles from Clairton, will try to become one of a handful of schools to win three times (2004 and 2007). RB Brian Baldrige has just under 2,200 yards, leads a suffocating run game.

1 p.m. Saturday: Class AA, West Philadelphia Catholic vs. Wilmington

The West Catholic Burrs (14-1) quickly becomes the second Philadelphia Catholic League school in the finals. They've won 14 in a row and have three backs with more than 1,000 yards, led by QB Curtis Drake, a Penn State recruit as an athlete.

The Wilmington Greyhounds (14-1) are northwest of Pittsburgh, toward Sharon. They club teams over the head with junior FB Derrick Burns, a 1,400-yard rusher whose older brother Chris is redshirting at Pitt.

7 p.m. Saturday: Class AAAA, Bethlehem Liberty vs. Bethel Park

The Liberty Hurricanes (14-1), from the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton metroplex, were blown out in the 2005 and 2006 state finals. But they are a legitimate program. At just 5-7, TB Brandon Brader hides behind his line's zone-blocking scheme and comes at people out of nowhere.

The Bethel Park Black Hawks (15-0), yet another team in the backyard of Clairton and TJ, is coming off a 36-35, triple-OT victory over Wilson-West Lawn (Kerry Collins' school) in the Western finals. WR John Schademan caught three touchdown passes in that win from smooth QB Erik Olson.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't know if I can pick the teams because you kept saying "straight" instead of "consecutive."

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, I didn't.

No, I didn't. ;)

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Steel-High, TJ, West Catholic, Bethel Park.

*Patiently waiting (and waiting) for Greensburg-Salem and/or a District 9 school to make a state finals appearance*

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Steel-High Steamrollers (15-0)

Archbishop Wood Vikings (12-2)

West Catholic Burrs (14-1)

Bethel Park Black Hawks (15-0)

6. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Steel-High, Thomas Jefferson, West Catholic, and I'll say Liberty gets its title.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Steel-High
    TJ
    West Catholic
    Bethel Park

As long as Young's ankle holds up, have to like Steel-High. TJ is outstanding again. I know nothing about the Philly teams, but I wasn't all that impressed by Wilmington, which lost to a D-9 team at the end of the regular season. And if Bethel Park can (and did) beat Gateway, I have to pick them against anyone else they play.

Trey, it has been a long time since the Hubs made D-9's last appearance in the finals, hasn't it? Unfortunately, I'm not sure I see that changing any time soon. Cameron County dominated our Class A schools this year, but got absolutely waxed by Farrell on their first trip outside the district.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm afraid D-9 has about as slim a shot of getting to Hershey as D-5.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

1990? 1991? Yeah, it's been a while.

Same can be said for Karns City in Class AA.

Dominant program of late - well, relative to the Gremlins' competition -- which had the misfortune of playing Aliquippa and Jeannette the past two seasons in the state playoffs.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Class A: Clairton
    Class AAA: Thomas Jefferson
    Class AA: West Catholic
    Class AAAA: Bethel Park (I'm a little biased - Bethel Park is my mom's alma mater.)

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm a WPIAL homer so this is much more heart than head: Clairton, TJ, West Catholic (but really, who cares about this one :)) Bethel Park.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Steel-High
    TJ
    Philly West Catholic
    Bethel Park

Shotty, what happened to the Mid-Penn this year? And whither Southern Columbia?

Draft saved Draft deleted