1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pennsylvania newspaper runs ad advocating Obama assassination

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, May 29, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Was it Janet Napolitano?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People know that if a celebrity with a camera in their face starts asking them general knowledge questions, their chances of getting on TV are much higher if they act stupid.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is no question to me that whoever approved this ad had no idea what those presidents had in common and it wouldn't surprise me if the person in question didn't even realize that Garfield and McKinley were presidents.

I could see it now -- "I knew those guys were, you know, part of history or whatever, but I figured they signed the Decleration of Independence or constitution or something......" ::)

Yes, seeing the merits of public schools and housing I can certainly see why public health care is something some seem to be in hurry to have.......

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

FDR (1940) didn't get shot. Reagan (1980) got shot, but didn't die. Who was president in 1920...I don't recall an assassination then. W?Only in a liberal's fantasy life.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I didn't intend "death sentence" to imply that every "0" elected president was bumped off. They just died in office. Here's the list:

1840 - William Henry Harrison, died in office, 1841
    1860 - Abraham Lincoln, died in office, 1865
    1880 - James Garfield, died in office, 1881
    1900 - William McKinley, died in office, 1901
    1920 - Warren Harding, died in office, 1923
    1940 - Franklin Roosevelt, died in office, 1945
    1960 - John Kennedy, died in office, 1963
    1980 - Ronald Reagan, dozed off in office, 1981-89 inclusive

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I guess we should have learned about the presidents in school, but how many of us remember much of the algebra and foreign language we took in high school?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2000 - George W. Bush, comatose most of term, 2001-2009

8. mb

mb Active Member

I can *promise* you the folks that take Classified ads here wouldn't have caught that in a million years. And I'll guess that's also the case for at least 75% of the newspapers in America.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think the people who take the classified ads at my paper are in the Philippines or someplace like that. So they'd be unlikely to know that bit of U.S. History trivia.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

10 percent? Wow.

Maybe I just had more of an interest in U.S. history than most.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Je suis American.

2x + 2y = 14

:p

Draft saved Draft deleted