1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pennsylvania newspaper runs ad advocating Obama assassination

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, May 29, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Anyone working for a newspaper would, you hope, have caught this.

But I'm curious -- what percentage of Americans do you think could correctly answer the question "What do presidents Garfield & McKinley have in common?"

I'd guess less 10 percent.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

They were both elected president in a year that ended in "0" - which, between 1840 and 1960, was a death sentence.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

They both fought in the Civil War.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

They've both never been in my kitchen.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

They were both president.

Until they weren't.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/presidentialrace/2008323949_campdig29.html

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=OKTB&p_theme=oktb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=124261BCEAE15B20&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

But other than that ...

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm sadly with those who believe the ad rep actually could have thought this was a favorable reference, particularly after seeing Lincoln and Kennedy, and had no idea the common element that connected them to Garfield and McKinley.

I don't know how old the ad rep was, but I see this all the time, in life, and in what you'd think would be relatively simple questions in the NTN trivia game in bars across the country.

In fact, I see people who don't know much, much worse things than this.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They all like lasagna?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Um, both were dead before I was born. That's what they have in common..... among other things.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'd be willing to bet my meager paycheck that's exactly what happened. I mean, during the election Obama DID garner complimentary comparisons to Lincoln and JFK.

The ad rep saw that, didn't really know what to make of Garfield and McKinley, and put it through.

Dumb mistake. But I doubt it was intentional or malicious.

12. I doubt that it would be that high. Last night on Leno's final Tonight Show, some genius on the Jaywalking segment thought the two countries bordering the U.S. were Australia and Hawaii.

Draft saved Draft deleted