1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State's Paterno Injured In Practice Sunday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 9, 2011.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.pjstar.com/free/x782943544/College-football-notes-Paterno-injured-at-practice

If this is a D-B, please feel free to tell me so, but I did not see anything or recognize anything about it on the board so far. But....Isn't JoePa getting to be too old for that kind of close contact where he could risk injury? I think this is the second or third time, isn't it? Yeah, I know I am overstating the obvious, here. It just strikes me as foolish on his part at his age.

OK. Have at...

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One of the reports I saw said he had a hairline fracture in his pelvis.

JoePa's a freak of nature in many ways, but he's not immortal. If he wants to die on the sideline or sitting at his desk watching game film and the people at Penn State are OK with it, I say let him.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He's not too old if he wants to die on the field, and it sure seems like that is exactly how he wants to go.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Joe lectures his players that "there's more to life than football." Umm, not for him, there isn't.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe the Penn State president and AD who went to Joe Pa's house to fire him and wound up finding out who really was in charge hired the kid to plow into him

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The AD will never pull the trigger; he played for Paterno.

The president knows JoePa is good for business.

Only way he'll go is when he's no longer bringing in the cash. See Bowden, Bobby.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always thought that Paterno and Bowden hung around so long because they were worried that they'd die within months of retiring, a la Bear Bryant.

I'm glad Bowden is doing well. I'm convinced Paterno wants to die on the field.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good for business is winning the Big 10 and being a legit BCS title threat every year.

Penn State has the resources and the recruiting base to do this every year, but they don't.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Of course, Bear Bryant going through a bottle of bourbon and three packs of Chesterfields had nothing to do with why he died months after he retired.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

If JoePa did die on the field, could you imagine being the player who hit him and caused the fatal injuries? Even if everyone cleared the player, I couldn't imagine a) dealing with the personal anguish of playing a key role in the death and b) the scrutiny from others, especially pissed alums.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Boy, you'd think Saint Joe would think of stuff like that, huh?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm glad we clarified it was Penn State's Paterno in the thread title; can't be getting fans of other Paternos scared.

Draft saved Draft deleted