1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I was struck by this yesterday: A number of girls testified that he never made their injuries better. He told them he had to stick his fingers in their vaginas for a "special treatment," their injuries stayed unhealed, and many of them eventually pretended their injuries were better so he wouldn't get to assault them anymore. And now they're left with, in many cases, a lifetime of physical pain to go along with psychological trauma.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

3. Double Down

Regardless of the differences between MSU and Penn State, what's clear is that the Board of Trustees at both schools during these incidents has plenty of fucking idiots willing to say stupid shit, implying we should just all move along from this abuse thing.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"This Nassar thing."

What the fuck is wrong with people?

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Trump and this Russian thing..."

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If Simon is complicit, I hope she's charged and taken to trial.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That Board of Trustees quote is just one of the most tone-deaf, ignorant quotes I've ever heard.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it's a reasonable argument to make, I really do. That ESPN OTL piece describes brutal, grueling 4-to-5 hour practices 6 days a week, vicious coaches, rampant sexual abuse...to me it's a textbook case of "corrupt, brutal system." Why not shutter it for a few years and regroup?

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Double Down

Have you considered the waitresses working in the local bars where gymnastic events are held, and how they'll be affected, though?

/ducking

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I absolutely can't wrap my head around this. The sheer scale of it is ... I just can't make it make sense.

WriteThinking and Iron_chet like this.
  12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Penn State people at least (and I mean very least) gave other programs some subtle warnings about Sandusky. Like, ‘you don’t want to hire him as a head coach, he spends too much time with his charity.”

Were there never any whispers about Nassar that would have kept him from getting more prominent positions? Sandusky could actually coach some defense, so in a sick way you could see why Paterno and the rest would ignore it. Nassar wasn’t even doing his job and treating the injuries. It’s hard to fathom why he was even in position to abuse these athletes.

Draft saved Draft deleted