1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is the $425 million ($75M is being withheld for future cases) being split evenly among the 322 victims?

That comes out to $1.3M per.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I don’t see that happening. Full out repeal? No.

I think university staffs having to try to conduct rape investigations independent of police departments - which is essentially something the current law requires them to do - is something congress may explore.

Which has NOTHING to do with Nassar.

It does have something to do with the former Michigan State student who says she was cautioned/advised not to talk about telling the police of her rape when she talked to Michigan State counselors.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

No. According to the story, claimants could receive anywhere from $500K to $2.5M

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

An expert appearing on outside the lines said that there may be a bond issue floated.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wonder if they'll bring in Kenneth Feinberg to decide the payouts.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Are payments determined by how many times they were fingered?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Had the same thought.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don’t know if it’s because girls were abused at MSU or that many Penn State alum and supporters are just horrible, but Michigan State seems to be handling this better and with more openness now that it’s out. The protect Paterno people were just plain disgusting. Michigan State however has more to answer for. It’s victims were students whom they had an affirmative duty to protect.

Meanwhile the USOC mafia is skating.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Penn State thing came out all at once. Sandusky was arrested on a Saturday (conveniently Penn State’s bye week) and by Thursday they’d cleaned house.

The Nassar stuff came out in drips and drabs at first. It was buried in the sports log and agate pages for more than a year. It didn’t gain momentum until his conviction and the victim impact statements.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’d like to know of all the reporters on the Sparty beat over the last 15 years, did any have an inkling of a clue? Or was this another one of those stories where everyone knew something was wrong but didn’t want to follow through because they’d lose access to spring football or midnight madness?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fair question, but Nasser wasn't the football or men's basketball doctor. If you're on the Sparty beat, how many stories on gymnastics and the minor women's sports were you writing before all this broke? Would you have had any shot of breaking this?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, it doesn't strike me as all that unlikely that many of the MSU beat heavies, on hearing about this at first, responded by asking, "Who?"

Draft saved Draft deleted