1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Miami was a feel-good story in 1983 and the devil incarnate in 1987. They took on a role and unabashedly played it to the hilt.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was there but Oklahoma wasn’t a program everyone loved to hate like Miami. It was Miami that caused the Catholics Vs Convicts shirt. Meanwhile, Oklahoma had the Bosworth effect and, I think, a quarterback who got arrested with a gun. In the northeast Paterno was considered a guy who, “did things the right way” whereas as Switzer was considered a brash, arrogant prison warden.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Even this thread turned into a college football thread, lolz.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

To be fair there was a college football program in the subject heading.

5. BTExpress

OK, back on topic. Shut down the MSU . . . well, whatever. Vacate the . . . well, whatever. Take down the . . . well, whatever.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This story fits a particular paradigm that we have seen several times before, including in USA Swimming and Canadian Junior Hockey, if memory serves.

Sadly, I think that people develop story fatigue.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

I think the school President and a couple people in the athletic department should be setting up accounts on CareerBuilder.com.

poindexter likes this.
  8. BTExpress

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If the MSU gymnastics coach told the girl that, she should be held liable, too.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Miami definitely played into it, but Penn State also did a lot to cultivate that idea that it was the program that did things the right way. So much for that.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My former paper has been in the forefront of this story because the ringhead beat guy is so well connected in this sport. I haven't read much of it because he always writes 50+ inches and my interest doesn't carry that far.
    The question I have is in regard to Maroney. She apparently accepted $1.25 million to stay quiet. What is going on with that now that she is testifying?

Draft saved Draft deleted