1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There will be multiple candlelight vigils.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is how I feel about this, all up and down the sheer scale of it.

And this. It really makes me question the whole situation, and frankly, even the athletes, for their collective silence. No one said anything, even amongst themselves? No one? Between all the athletes? All the parents? All the collegiate/personal coaches? The Karolyis? All of Michigan State? Heck, even any Olympics-specializing journalists?

I'm sorry, but yes, he was just a doctor. There are plenty of great doctors, throughout the country, who haven't repeatedly assaulted hundreds of their patients. Who exactly did this guy have in his back pocket that this could have gone on, with so many, for so long?

To me, the Karolyis could/should be in big trouble, but this kind of feels even bigger/higher than them.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, by Joan Ryan. Most disturbing sports book ever. Haven't watched gymnastics the same since.

I really believe Trump fatigue kills almost every other story/school shooting, etc. And it happened at the beginning of this one, too. But, every day another assaulted patient hammers Nasser in court pushed this to the front. Big stars like Raisman (in court) and Biles (on Twitter) did it, too.

Ferguson is a douchebag, and his comments prove Michigan St is going to try and stop it from getting Simon. Will attention stay focussed on her, or will we move on to the next thing?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

YGBFKM.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Criminy. And I suppose that explains Paul "Russian Bear" Bryant and the Junction Boys, too? :rolleyes:

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly the point I was going to make as I read poin's posts. I get his thinking, but my brother and I have been through this with our mother's estate. She died over a year ago and we are still getting medical bills and some of them are bullshit.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have been fighting the urge to make a Duggar reference and you go and do this? :D

JC likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not shocked you’d be the clueless one who doesn’t understand it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, c'mon. Seriously?

Is there nothing Russian related that you won't defend?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe if we didn't "relate" Hungarians working for a Romanian sports program as "Russian" it wouldn't need to be defended.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Hungary was a Soviet bloc country. So was Romania. Looking back at the Olympics, right offhand, the Russians, East Germans, and Bulgarians were notorious for PED programs. I am by far not an expert on Soviet era women's gymnastic training practices, but I don't feel off base with the assumption that they weren't particularly nurturing, or that there might have been PED use involved.

If I'm wrong I'm willing to own that, but taken as a whole there seems to be a substantial history there.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Everyone knew the Bear was a closet Commie.

Draft saved Draft deleted