1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State picking on elementary school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Hey, Oz, you have papers from Kansas allowing use of the Jayhawk bird logo? :)

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good thinking.

[​IMG]

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Oh, bullshit if anyone thinks Joe Paterno had anything to do with this story.

You get any evidence of that, then you can drag his name into the story.

If not, you're shamelessly dragging his name into the story, aren't you?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They got enough of my money already, using the Jayhawk mascot is the least they can do for me. ;)

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Also think that logo is a pretty clear copy of the Nittany Lion, so maybe some people would be pissed about that.

People in suits, of course.

But if I were the AD or whatever, I'd remember that flattery is a compliment.

I'd let the school keep the logo. One school only, though.

Hell, maybe they've got a good prospect every once in a while.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is a high school student in this school district, or a local college student, who would love to create the logo to add to their graphic design portfolio. I'm guessing they would probably do it for free.

No need to rip off Penn State.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They may not be doing anything horrible in this case, but yes, they are evil. :)

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.fredericksburg.com/blogs/view?blogger_id=7

Funny cartoon on the situation.

Oh, how did Penn State do this weekend?

9. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

The Denver Broncos forced a small college and a high school in my home state to change their logos. It was very expensive for both, really tough on the high school.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

exactly

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Too bad. Maybe they shouldn't have infringed on copyright.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

A number of you have touched on the reason why Collegiate Licensing was forced to do this, but let me fill you in a little further.

Collegiate Licensing has been hired by most big schools to coordinate the licensing of the marks and logos for each school. They are responsible for collecting "rights fees" by companies that use the marks in creating t-shirts, sweatshirts and other itemas that are for sale to the general public. In turn, a school like Penn State probably realizes about $1 million each year in royalties.

The reason why Collegiate Licensing went after the school is because they became aware of the illegal use of the marks and logos and under the law, they must issue a cease and desist order or risk losing control of the marks and logos themselves.

Xerox was the first company to produce copiers many years ago and when the product first came out, just about everybody referred to a copy made by the copier as a Xerox. Since Xerox was the registered name of the company, Xerox had to spend millions of dollars sending out cease and desist orders whenever they saw a copy being referred to as a Xerox. If they didn't, then the term Xerox could have become part of the public domain and anybody could have used it. All Xerox was doing was protecting its name and although a lot of those letters seemed pretty stupid, if somebody were to challenge Xerox that they were aware of an instance where they let a copy be called a Xerox, then it would be that much easier to lose control of your marks and logos.

These logo problems pop up all the time and, like somebody mentioned, you rarely see Collegiate Licensing actually seek for anything more from a school than to stop using the marks. They could legally ask for damages but, as many of you have pointed out, that would be pretty petty. One of the schools that I used to work at found out about a logo problem and asked that the grade school stop, going so far as to pay to replace some uniforms that had the illegal mark on it.

If the marks and logos become part of the public domain, then anybody can use them without paying the licensing fee. That could cost a school millions of dollars each year.

I hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted