1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State picking on elementary school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 29, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Douchebox.

Go Conway Cougars!

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Damn, those logos are pretty similar.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Penn State isn't the only one. Wisconsin pitched a bitch with a local school here over the "W" logo. Come to find out that they went after this school becuse the "W" was nearly identical to a T. Those dumb fucks should have went after the other 6 schools that had the same logo, rather than pick a fight with one.

Secondly I don't buy that bullshit reasoning that each school has to come up with their own. If that was the case, then we would have teams named "West High Bumfucks", "East High Hayseeds" and "Sigourney-Keota Amishfolks."

Most of these schools came up with the nicknames they had back when they were opened, case in point in Iowa, as far back as 1918. Iowa Hawkeyes = Iowa City High Little Hawks; Northern Iowa Panthers = Northern University High Little Panthers; ISU Cyclones = Ames Little Cyclones.

Besides, how many schools are going to purposely rip off a college school and their logos? Leave it to the fucking NCAA and their corporate sponsors to find ways to make a buck off of a student-athlete or a group of 3rd graders. They should be more worried about a company who is printing off logos without the school's permission than to fuck with a 12-year old kid.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

In related news, I'm suing anyone who writes BLOGS!!!!

One exclamation point or 10, CAPITAL LETTERS or not. Doesn't matter. Your ass is mine.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agreed. Legally you have to protect your copyright; to allow an infringement is a very, very bad precedent. Penn State had no choice, and even the school seems to think Penn State was pretty good about the whole thing.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

1. That's usually the way it works in many of those schools' cases, since they have some form of exemption. Penn State even lets State College High use "Little Lions." They're not the totally evil bastards you think they are.
    2. They do pursue those companies who make counterfeit merchandise, too.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

1. That's usually the way it works in many of those schools' cases, since they have some form of exemption. Boston College High School uses a similar, if not the same, Eagle logo. Penn State even lets State College High use "Little Lions." They're not the totally evil bastards you think they are.
    2. They do pursue those companies who make counterfeit merchandise, too, especially on game day.

9. Funny thing about the Little Lions...their logo was a direct rip off of Southern Cal's logo during my time at Penn State.

Now, it appears to be an adaptation of the Nittany Lion shrine from west campus.

http://www.scasd.org/24974091585055/site/default.asp

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I find it amusing that hondo would villify Penn State over this. If you think anybody from Penn State had anything to do with contacting the school officials, or even finding the logo in question, that's silly. There are people who police this for a living; the company is called the Collegiate Licensing Company.

But, as usual, hondo's never above stretching reality to hammer home a point.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If Penn State were sueing for damages, I'd call them bullies.

They're just asking the school to stop and come up with a different logo.

Maybe I should open a restaraunt, call it McIdaho's and use some big pink arches. Wonder if anyone would object.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Bingo, nowhere in that story does it say Penn State has anything to do with this. Sounds like it's all the licensing company.

Draft saved Draft deleted