1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State Penalty Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 23, 2012.

?

What do you think of the Penn State Penalty?

1. Too harsh

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Too lenient

21 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. About right

42 vote(s)
    52.5%
  4. NCAA had no business getting involved

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. NCAA should have waited

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reading the reactions from Wetzel, Forde and Mandel really surprised me. Seems like writers are slamming the NCAA for the severity and/or getting involved, while the TV/radio people think it isn't enough.

And yeah, I know - another Penn State poll. Sorry.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I voted the last option (NCAA should have waited). I honestly don't know what to think other than Jerry Sandusky deserves to spend the rest of his life behind bars thinking about what he did to those kids.

I don't know that punishing a football program that has already begun removing itself from the Sandusky scandal is the answer. That's why I voted the way I did. I think the NCAA should have waited instead of catering to a blood-thirsty society set on toppling the Penn State empire.

I understand that the current Nittany Lions and future Nittany Lions have the freedom to go wherever they choose, but I don't know they they're having to bear the brunt of the punishment. Why should their future be altered because of something that happened long before they ever stepped foot on that campus?

That's just my $.02.

Edited because I'm a moron.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I know it's hard not to think of Sandusky as a total Dick, but his name is Jerry. ;)

4. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I think it's about right. Probably could have done more. I rarely like anything the NCAA does, but getting involved in this matter was clearly the right thing. I see StaggerLee's point, but I think the NCAA did about what it should have done.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Because administration attempted to cover up child rape and turned a blind eye, and last year's coach also turned a blind eye to child rape. Both also continued to allow the man to use the facility as a raping ground of children. I dunno, dude. That's enough for me.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Since they don't have law enforcement powers, what else could the NCAA do? I don't think waiting would have made for a different result. And how are the players being punished? Because they can't go to Florida for a week and collect some bowl swag?

7. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Ignoring the obvious logistical hurdles that I could care less about, I think the NCAA should've included a one-year suspension, effective immediately, in addition to all the other penalties.

Then, when preseason camp didn't open and the season never started, this whole tragic, sordid mess really would've served as a significant teachable moment for anyone who ever again considers putting football ahead of innocent children.

And the PSU admin would've swallowed hard but accepted those terms, too. They're certainly not in a position to challenge anything at this point.

Opportunity lost. Oh well.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The NCAA's problem is that it rarely has the opportunity or authority to punish those most responsible for breaking rules. The players are gone by the time sanctions hit. Head coaches too, except for a few loyal assistants who dive on the hand grenades.

All the NCAA can do is deal with the program. What do you want them to do? Buy a carton of smokes for someone who'll stick a shiv in Jerry Sandusky?

They needed to send a strong message here and did.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have had a problem if the NCAA came down harder and issued a one-year or multi-year suspension of the football program, but the penalties they handed down are pretty strong. Seems about right.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can we please be spared of "Think of the innocent kids" line regarding Penn State, or pretty much any school the NCAA sanctions? Punishments are centered on the program. I'm not going to get worked up over an innocent kid affected by NCAA sanctions when there are much more important issues to deal with in society.

Innocent people are punished for the actions of a few all of the time. I remember being able to go to airport gates without needed a boarding pass. I remember going to professional games without needing to open my bag or screened by a metal detector.

There are plenty of instances where the actions of a few affect the future of the whole.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I voted "about right" because I'm fine with any penalties going forward but don't like the vacating of wins. And that doesn't have anything to do with this particular case. I just don't like the rewriting of history.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Stop, stop, stop feeling sorry for the athletes being punished for something someone else did. Just stop.

That's what happens when you're part of a team. Other peoples' actions affect you all the time.

Also, considering the fact that they can transfer without penalty OR keep their scholarships without even playing football this season, I refuse to see any PSU football player as a victim in this case.

Draft saved Draft deleted