1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State Latest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Disagree. With balanced attack at USC Redd would have a lot more running room and improve his draft stock with outside chance at Heisman.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, but it can be overwhelmed by the enormity of his "mistake." Sandusky was molesting children. Paterno helped cover it up. He chose to allow Sandusky to continue to abuse little boys so he could protect his program and his legacy. That is an act of such narrow-minded selfishness that it dwarfs what good he did.

It's the kind of thing that makes me think he donated to charity to make himself look good rather than out of concern for his fellow man. He donated to the school to ensure his legacy, not to help others. He had a high percentage of players graduate because he thought the best way to build his program was around smart, focused kids. Every thing you revere he for could be seen as promoting his own self-interest.

Is that unfair? Maybe, but too damn bad. He surrendered the right to the benefit of the doubt when he covered for a pedophile.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Boom, usually your college football interest could fit in a glovebox. Why the Silas Redd infatuation?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He made a mistake that carried on for at least 14 years.

That's like saying Bernie Madoff made a mistake.

Anyone want to argue in favor of Bernie being a good guy? How much money would he have had to donate to charity to make up for his crimes?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jesus christ, you are such a dimwitted douchenozzle. Every time you do this shit someone has to go back and explain to you kindergarten style what the original point was and why you're misrepresenting others' words. God does your act get old.

Look, in my original post, I was merely responding to the analogy suggesting that the local factory would shut down for the same type of harm that persists here (it would not); and that singular analogy is ALL I was addressing. I never said that every single Penn St. fan now "gets it" or that there are no longer any "cultural" issues of concern, I merely pointed out that's not the kind of harm factories close their doors for, hence the underlying premise of that analogy is flawed.

Got it? No, I'm sure probably not, because you're hopeless.

6. outofplace

Thank you for resorting to childish name calling, a sure sign that you are getting your ass verbally kicked. I get it. You don't like having the gaping holes in your argument pointed out. Calling me names won't patch up those holes.

I understand your failed attempt to narrow down the problem just fine. But it is just that, a failure.

We don't know that Penn State is done doing harm. That is the assertion you are trying to make because it serves your argument. The culture there is still poisonous. That is the part you are either too dumb to understand or too stubborn to acknowledge. Either way, the failing is on your end. Hurling your sad little insults at me won't change that, either.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is just a stupid, stupid argument. There's no denying the entire culture surrounding big-time football programs is ridiculous, but to downplay what happened at Penn State by equating it with every other program is a slap in the face to all the victims. "That's OK, Johnny. The culture at Penn State may have led directly to the terrible struggle you face in everyday life, but it not's REALLY any worse than all those other schools."

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Never made any such assertion. And the culture may damn well still be poisonous, but it doesn't make the factory analogy any more correct, as factories don't close for "cultural" reasons, which was my only fucking point all along. Whether based on stupidity or dishonesty (or combo of both), you keep trying to put an argument in my mouth that I never made. Culture's still bad? Yeah, I agree. Probably is. So fucking what, my only point about the analogy still stands.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

OOP, do you have different templates set up where you just have to insert a posters name?

You are misrepresenting what Stoney was saying.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Thank you, JC.

11. outofplace

You. Can't. Handle. Being. Wrong.

See. I can do the one word thing, too. The difference is mine is more accurate. The culture at Penn State is the poison. The result of the poison was the cover-up. The molester may be in jail, but the poison seems to still be there. I'm really sorry that the argument is beyond your comprehension.

Your point about the analogy stands as a complete failure.

12. outofplace

No, I'm really not. He just seems to be incapable of understanding the analogy he is so bent on attacking no matter how much I simplify it for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.