1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State Latest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Because we should be able to discuss the biggest American sports story of the century.

Bob Ford on Michael Mauti.

www.philly.com/philly/columnists/bob_ford/20120729_Bob_Ford__Mauti_emerging_as_new_face_of_Penn_State_football.html

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Meet the new face, same as the old face. Mauti spoke at Paterno's memorial service. His father played for Paterno. To me I don't think Mauti is the face that Penn St wants to emerge.

"Michael Mauti recalled sitting in Joe Paterno's office as a potential recruit when the coach asked him "What's it gonna be kid?"
    "Joe, I'm here," he told the Paterno -- indicating his plans to become a Nittany Lion."

That said I think Penn St discussions should go the way of politics on SJ and not be discussed.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

O'Brien didn't much like the Wild West aspect of things that the NCAA failed to foresee, and the face of Penn State football wasn't very amused by the rustling attempts, either.

"For me, if you're going to sit here and wish our program well and then try to pull the legs out from under us by taking our kids . . . I've got a problem with that," Mauti told reporters at the Big Ten's media day, where he subbed for Redd.

Funny how things work out. From 1987:

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Great pull. Penn State football: We Are ... Hypocrites.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

PSU President was on Face the Nation this morning but I couldn't watch

6. YankeeFan

Bob Schieffer: As you look back on it now, did Penn State put too much emphasis on football?

Rodney Erickson: Uh, our intercollegiate athletics program has been a tremendous success. Um, to the extant that um, that uh, some parts of intercollegiate athletics, uh, perhaps, became to separate, and became, uh, too much, uh, areas under, unto, themselves, and not sufficiently, uh, wrapped into the rest of the University, uh, that's, something, that we, uh, we're really are looking at right now, and, of course, the Freeh report made a number of recommendations, uh, with respect to that issue.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Sorry, but I fail to see how Michael Mauti, who wasn't alive in 1987, is a hypocrite because Penn State coaches were at SMU 25 years ago.

Now if Paterno or Sandusky or any other PSU coach who visited Texas to recruit SMU players came out today and decried the feeding frenzy going on in State College, well, I'd agree that THEY would be hypocrites.

Mauti's response is understandable. He sees coaches flocking to lure his teammates away. As one of the leaders of the team, he is trying to hold things together as best he can. I respect him for that. I've imagined how I would respond if I were in his position and I'm confident I'd feel the same way.

And Beckman's contention that they weren't "on campus" is laughable.

Story about Illinois establishing a beachhead in State College broke one day after Delany spelled out to Big Ten coaches how NOT to recruit the PSU players.

Delany was livid when he heard what Illinois did.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is and shall remain a fantastic find. If PSU finds and follows the straight-and-narrow path back to righteousness, good for them. Until that's been demonstrated, this serves as a reminder of The Way It Was.

And the ten other Clown Shows (to varying degrees, of course) mentioned can stand another remainder of their bottom-feeding habits 'way back then, The Way They Were.

9. YankeeFan

Sports by Brooks tweeted the link to the 1987 Times story.

And, it doesn't make PSU or Mauti hypocrites. It just shows, again, they are not victims.

This is how the game is played. If the PSU situation had happened somewhere else, PSU coaches would be on the ground trying to poach players.

10. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

This is apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between recruiting players from SMU, kids who would be unable to play for the next season and recruiting players from PSU who will already be down scholarships for the next four years.

Regardless, to wait outside kids apartments and in parking lots outside practice facilities is slimy under any circumstance. It certainly doesn't do anything to address the culture of college football. It only makes things worse.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, it's more like apples and rotten apples. The comparison is far more appropriate than you seem to want it to be.

12. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

No, it's different, despite how "rotten" your hatred of PSU has become.

It's "join my team because you no longer have a team" vs. "join my team so I can beat your current team."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.