1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State fans...nothin but class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sabrefan, Oct 31, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Latest word is that the guy with the Oasis hair that threw the beer from point blank was *drumroll* a University of Pittsburgh student. Ohh goodie. The guy is probably one of these students that cant make the five mile trek to Heinz Field for a noon kickoff but can drive three hours to act like an ass.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I may very well be traveling to Pittsburgh in a couple weeks to tailgate w/some buddies who are from Pittsburgh. I will be wearing Browns gear. I am inviting ridicule. I am curious to see how out of hand it gets.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, going with Pittsburgh guys might keep you in one piece.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Hey, can I have your stereo if you don't make it back? :eek:

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Duuuude .... how high is that horse you're riding on?
    Geesh. It was just a joke. An exaggeration. Hyperbole. Embellishment. Of course it was a generalization. It was SUPPOSED to be a generalization. Any sane person knows not all frats are like that. Just not all frat boys are rich kids.
    If you don't get the humor the first time, perhaps I need to slow it down and explain it to you.
    I'm just sorry you didn't get it. Just do me a favor: please take off that ridiculous pink polo shorts, get ride of those ridiculous plaid shorts and boat shoes, trim those bangs and whatever you do -- PLEASE don't forget to take your Paxil.
    And give the horse a rest. He's tired.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yeah, good luck with that, TSP. Seriously.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Reminds me of something that happened earlier this season when WVU played at Maryland. Some Terps fan tackled a WVU fan and the Maryland student paper trumpted that as a boastworthy achievement. I was furious at the time, but didn't post it so as not to call out a student reporter ... but after reading this, if they were stupid enough to write about it in such a proud fashion, they deserve to be called out.

From The Diamondback, Sept. 14, 2007:

Terps fans show intensity against rivals
    Jeff Amoros and Brian Kapur
    Issue date: 9/14/07 Section: Sports

Wearing West Virginia gold, weaving his way through hostile Terrapin football territory, he nearly made it to safety - almost.

Tackled from behind, he got up and saw a scene played out dozens of times last night: Terps fans standing, cheering and ... barbecuing?

The roughest tackle last night didn't involve Terps defensive players Erin Henderson or Dave Philistin. No, the big moment came when junior American studies major Thomas Agbonyitor took down a West Virginia fan walking through Lot U4, delighting Terps fans tailgating in the area.

"I saw this fan standing around all cocky," Agbonyitor said. "So I did my best Shawne Merriman impression and took him out; everyone cheered. I hate when opposing fans come to our stadium and act like that."

The tackle could be viewed as a microcosm of a day that aroused tensions only seen when fans of one of the Terps' biggest rivals - No. 4-ranked West Virginia - visited the campus for a rare prime-time weekday home game.

Agbonyitor wasn't the only one getting in on the act. Andrew Lynch, an 2007 alumnus, was only too happy to return to the campus for a chance to torment Mountaineers fans.

"We've been throwing shit at them, sausages and stuff," Lynch said. "We like to f--- with them."

Lynch and Agbonyitor were among the few to attempt such overt forms of taunting, but that didn't mean abuse didn't come in verbal form from some Terps fans.

"They are all one family, no teeth; the brother's sister's uncle is the baby daddy," said Jimmie Mac, an alumnus.

Terps fan Matt Weimar, however, offered a departure from the familiar hillbilly refrain: "West Virgina sucks. The fans are too wild, but the women are hot."

Despite the animosity, the Terps fans did respect the dedication shown by the many Mountaineers who made the trip from Morgantown.

"They are dedicated, coming all the way down here," Weimar said.

Even though the Terps fans talked tough, the West Virgina fans brought chants and trash talk of their own to the tailgate.

"Maryland sucks. We are from West Virginia - we couldn't find any roadkill so we are looking for a turtle for dinner tonight," said Jeff Smith. "Terrapin soup."

Though football loyalties divided the fans in the parking lots, another game of skill was almost universal.

"Cheers to beer pong, it's the second best sport going down today," yelled a group of Maryland and West Virigina fans in unison.

When gametime came, the effects of hours of ping pong ball tossing became more clear as the chants grew more vulgar: "Let's go, incest," "F--- Slaton," "F--- the Mountaineers," "Mountaineers f--- sheep," and "West Vagina" could be heard from groups of Terp fans in the concourse area.

When the game started, the student section blackout went into full effect. A chorus of "asshole, asshole" greeted the few Mountaineer fans brave enough to trespass into the black hole of the student section.

Despite the fervor of the Terps fans, the team couldn't match the intensity on the field, as Steve Slaton, Pat White and the Mountaineers' vaunted running attack made their way through the Terps' defense, rushing for 353 yards on the ground.

A few fans who were in Lot U4 earlier in the day might have hoped the Terps had an extra linebacker on the field to make some stops. As an unfortunate West Virginia fan learned early in the afternoon, Thomas Agbonyitor can make a tackle or two.

sports@dbk.umd.edu

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At least one of the idiots is going to be charged:

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/248912.html

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pi-Ka chapter also suspended by international and the university.
    http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2007/11/01/video_incites_suspension.aspx

Read down to the second and third grafs here to see what a douche the frat's VP is:

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Excellent. And the frat should lose their charter, not just suspended.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I watched the video and the first thing I thought when I saw the Greek letters was, "Of course. It had to be the Pikes."

Draft saved Draft deleted