1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State fans...nothin but class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sabrefan, Oct 31, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, who do you think that song "Backfield in Motion" was written for? :)

2. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Seriously? You don't think this goes on every week at major college and NFL stadium? I guarantee you it does. If there is one large group of fans of Home Team A, and one or two gear-wearing fans of Visiting Team B, and a certain amount of Alcohol C, there will be behavior like this. Hell, Cleveland fans were ripping LeBron for wearing a Yankees hat. And they weren't even drunk. What do you think they'd do to just some shmo on the street after a few beers?

Questionable behavior by teachers notwithstanding, Pittsburgh fans (I witnessed this) were barbaric to Seattle fans in Detroit, where they had them outnumbered about 50-1.

Ohio State fans have no wiggle room here, with the way they treat out-of-staters at their stadium (particularly anyone with a gold M on a blue hat). I can imagine the same goes when Auburn-Alabama fans, Texas-Oklahoma Fans, etc., are in similar situations. Does it happen at a MAC game? Probably.

As this thread grows, so does the anecdotal evidence. I'm sure if we waited long enough, everyone would be mentioned sooner or later.

This isn't a Penn State issue. It's a sports issue. The line between fanatic and lunatic is crossed after about the third beer. The only difference here is, cameras were rolling. That will become more common, not less, in times to come.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The thing that kills me is that these kids thought it a.) was cool enough to film and b.) that they thought it was cool enough to post to YouTube. How stupid do you have to be?

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I've seen the same kind of stuff at Alabama, Florida State, Tennessee and even the University of Dayton, and of course at plenty of pro games.

It's not a Penn State thing. It's a fanboy/alcohol thing.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It doesn't happen everywhere... I was always stunned at how classy Nebraska fans were... Granted, I've only been to a game at LSU once, but it was the same thing there...

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

LSU classy? They vomit out of the upper deck.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Like I said, I've only been there once... ;D

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This is just an example of college kids making bad decisions.
    It has nothing to do with alums of PSU.
    These were a bunch of drinking, teen and 20-type college kids.

The best response/post I saw on that site was this:

There are 40,000 or so students at Penn State. Most of them are spirited, bright individuals who warmly welcome visitors including Michigan and Ohio State fans and players. If you ever really spent any time in State College, you would know that most Penn Staters and alum are great people who love football and partying. It’s ok to make fun of or dislike a few ass holes who just happen to be Penn State students. If you judge all students and alumni that way, you are unfortunately prejudicing yourself against a great deal of wonderful individuals. As Penn Staters, we are embarassed by any Penn State student or football player who engages in inappropriate behavior.

Sums it up pretty good.
    And yeah, I'd like to see that narrator guy kicked in the ribs a few times.
    He was piss-poor.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's a pack-mentality thing and fraternities are the absolute worst in that regard on college campuses (and I'm an ex-frat guy). This video didn't have 60 guys throwing beer, but it did have about a dozen throwing something and 60 giving approval.

I'm amazed that the OSU guy was able to keep walking with his head down, avoiding any urge to cause trouble even when that one a-hole got a point-blank shot. It could have ended up being a very lopsided rumble with serious injury.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

What a waste of beer ...

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Proudly wore my Mizzou stuff back in September at Ole Miss. Never, ever had a better time at a football game. Fantastic reception.

Edit: OK, I did have a better time at the 2003 Mizzou-Nebraska game, but there were a number of outlying factors, not the least of which being Mizzou's 24-year losing streak to the Shuckers at the time.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What gave it away? The "Fuckin' Pike" line?

Draft saved Draft deleted