1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

He doesn't know what a lot of words mean.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Someday, people will understand why Sun Tzu said "the pen is mightier than the sword" and realize that just because one person says something doesn't mean its true, that's how powerful words are. Which means, you have to look at the whole picture, not just one speck.

No evidence of Sandusky's guilt? You get to that point by starting with the slam dunk/ideal case, you know, perfect DNA evidence, body armour camera footage, text messages, and the ultimate breakdown confession. Perfect. But guess what? That's not the real world and frankly NOT how we convict 99% of our prisoners. Apply that standard to every single case a prosecutor brings to trial and he/she will lose almost every time. Thankfully, that's not the constitutional standard of proof. No, its what 12 people believe is "beyond a reasonable doubt." If 36 accusers testified, in the jurors opinion, truthfully, that's more than enough to be beyond a reasonable doubt to me. Its about those four words, not what evidence you want to see.

Keep watching CSI and the Apprentice and wanting real life to follow that script, then sit back and ask yourself what reality would look like. Prisons would be empty and someone who barely spends 1 out of every 3 days on the golf course instead of in the White House leading our nation. Well 1 or the 2 is happening right now.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

This is too perfect, for so many reasons.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Really, even an otherwise lucid post about 'beyond a reasonable doubt' has to drag in reference to the friggin' president.
    It's exhausting.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry, my editor was absent.

Buck likes this.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I have no idea if Sandusky is innocent. I know from personal experience that people will make up stuff when money is involved. I read the article. It was until the last minute going in Newsweek. It's an incredible story. There's a lot of shady stuff surrounding this.

My personal belief is some people in jail are innocent and some people that got off are guilty so just because he's in jail doesn't necessarily mean he's guilty. But he could be.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote that tripe hangs around PennLive as a commenter on Paterno/PSU threads.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Except for everything that would have been cut from it, as even Ziegler admits.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which guy? They guy who claims his article was ready to run in Newsweek or Rainman?

:D

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Can't it be both? Worked for @Carlkolchak .

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See you can't have it both ways; you can't stand on the sidelines say "my personal belief" to judge whether someone is guilty or innocent, then when your life is on the line say "wait, my guilt or innocence should be decided by 12 jurors of my peers." You either live by the system or go somewhere else.

Have a little more respect for the jurors than that. 12 people spent over 2-3 mos of their lives SERVING as jurors, listening to people they never wanted to hear, then UNANIMOUSLY decided he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Are there innocent people jailed? Put to death? Of course. But you know who is the most likely to be wrongly convicted? A poor, destitute, uneducated person, not someone like Sandusky with the means to mount a tremendous defense.

I'll believe them over your computer judgment any day. Our judicial system is not perfect, but its better than any other system ever designed to date.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    sgreenwell and John B. Foster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted