1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Interesting choice by Penn State to honor Joe Pa the week they face Bill Cosby's alma mater.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I pictured Team Bud and Shotty to be older than that.

Sorry Shotty.

4. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I'm definitely older than that. Smarter, too.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

At least Sandusky was on the back of the shirt, above the rear entry portal for those two douchenozzles.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere on the board so I guess this is a good enough place. Heartbreaking and inspiring piece by Mike Wise ... and on a sheer journalism level, I like the format he chose. Apparently it's been 12 years in the making. Exceptional work.
    Penn State doesn’t get to decide JoePa’s legacy: I know

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting. That is a beautiful piece of writing.

9. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Wow that's some story. Why does The Undefeated sound familiar?

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just got done reading this and wanted to check if it had been posted. Amazing piece of writing.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Damn. That was a great story. I probably should have stopped there but because I'm a glutton for punishment, I read some of the reply tweets. Basically exactly what you would expect. One talk radio bobo declared him #Biased for having the temerity to cast judgement on accused enablers of sexual predators as if being raped as a 12-year-old gave him some sort of privilege. Makes me sick.

I'm not gonna relitigate any of this stuff, but when I read and consider this case and its various ripples, two questions come to mind, and maybe you guys can offer insight here: 1. Hypothetically, what is the best possible position Paterno could have occupied in the middle of this mess? That he was totally ignorant of a sexual predator grooming children in his midst? Is that not in and of itself something pretty heinous? 2. I've always wondered if Paterno's actions were motivated by a belief that he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't -- which kind of refers back to question 1. Even if he calls the cops on Sandusky at the first instance, does the fact that he employed a child sexual predator basically ruin all that "excellence with honor" BS right from the get-go no matter how ethically he would have handled it? (Again, not trying to justify, I'm just trying to figure out the motives of a person who at least recognizes the value of appearing to be honorable.) So he keeps doubling down over and over and over again that it doesn't see the light of day?

Again, not a defense, simply a thought exercise on two angles of the case I've never really understood.

Draft saved Draft deleted