1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penguins for sale - still and again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Dec 17, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with Colorado. Great franchise, great support. Phoenix is a joke.

But there are numerous markets in Canada that could support a franchise: Winnipeg, Quebec City, Halifax, Saskatoon (the whole province would come), South Western Ontario--but not Hamilton.

Hell, you could probably put a team in Flin Flon and it'd draw better than some of the southern U.S. franchises.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

The league should consider Winnipeg as the next home of the Pens, if they move.

If the league is considering KC, thinking of putting KC into the Western Conference and Detroit back into the Eastern Conference, then Winnipeg seems even more ideal.

Winnipeg is almost directly north of KC, in the same time zone, the arena there is new and the fans are supportive. It's the surest bet out there.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Kemper Arena was fairly new in 1974, if not brand new.

You mentioned the Kings also moved out of town, well, why was that? The NBA couldn't even survive in that marketplace despite no competition from hockey after 1976.

And let's talk about hockey in KC. Yes, the Scouts failed. So did the Blues (Central league). So did the Blades (International league). So did the United league team, the name of which escapes me. What in the world, other than population (read: TV market), suggests that Kansas City is at all suitable to once again be the home of a pro hockey team at any level, much less the NHL?

Tell you what. Get Dave Checketts to move his team to KC; they're already in Missouri and the people of St. Louis have made it clear they don't want the Blues. Hell, they never wanted the Blues in the first place -- the franchise was awarded in 1967 despite the fact that no one from St. Louis had even applied for a team. You can look it up.

Jim Balsillie could easily finance the construction of a rink in Kitchener-Waterloo. Or maybe Frank D'Angelo will build one in Tiverton, right next to his brewery. :D

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Frank is the biggest asshole in the country. Talk about publicity whore.

Anyway, theoretically, the Kitchener-Waterloo Manure Spreaders could play in The Copps Coliseum in Hamilton until they raise a new barn build a new arena.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I love the Pens, but my friends and I came up with a better use of Mellon Arena: Weekly Ultimate Fighting sponsored by Iron City Beer. Pittsburghers love fighting and Iron City needs a boost of popularity. Put it on ESPN2 and start counting cash.

6. Simon

Simon Active Member

The Scouts success on the ice couldn't be measured by anyone. The team was horrible and the on and off ice marketing was just as bad. No matter what the business is, if you fail at advertising and good product you fail.

The Blades averaged over 6,000 for the 11 years in KC. Most of the years, there wasn't an NHL affiliate. For an AHL team, that would be in the top 6-8 teams right now. The reason the Blades folded was because the IHL folded. The owner of the Blades also owns the Grand Rapids Griffins. AHL by-laws says an owner can only own one team...he dropped the Blades.

That United "Hockey" League product was shit just like the Scouts. I went to one game and never went back. My brother's High School hockey games are more entertaining than those geezers.

Right now the Houston Aeros are averaging about 5,000 in a brand new arena for the AHL. What makes that better?

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

from PittsburghPenguins.com

MARIO LEMIEUX STATEMENT

12/21/2006

Recent developments, including Wednesday’s decision by the PGCB, and the recent termination of the purchase agreement by Jim Balsillie have convinced us that it is time to take control of our own destiny. Accordingly, starting Thursday, the team is off the market, and we will begin to explore relocation options in cities outside Pennsylvania. After seven years of trying to work out a new arena deal exclusively in Pittsburgh, we need to take into consideration the long-term viability of the team and begin discussions with other cities that may be interested in NHL teams.

As soon as we are no longer restricted by our agreement with Isle of Capri from negotiating an arena deal here, in the next few weeks, we will also begin discussions with local leaders about a viable Pittsburgh arena plan.

We will have no further comment at this time.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who says it's better? I wouldn't put an NHL team in Houston either.

And doesn't it say something that the owner of the Blades knew he'd have a better chance of success running an AHL team in Grand Rapids, Michigan rather than in Whitlock Pimp Hand City, Missouri?

9. Simon

Simon Active Member

So where do you move them? An arena 20 years old in Hamilton? Back to a WHL city? Funny. That's why the Whalers and the Jets moved.

Based on that statement, Mario gives up. He's going to move the team to a city himself and then sell it so he doesn't have to deal with the Ontario guy he really just pissed off.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, the Jets moved because they could no longer compete in an outdated arena and in a free-spending time that was threatening a lot of other franchises -- Edmonton and Calgary, to name two.

Now that Winnipeg has a new arena and a more level playing field, there's no logical reason at all why the NHL couldn't succeed there. If Quebec City had a new rink or a realistic plan to upgrade Le Colisee, the same would apply.

And good for Mario. It's a brilliant idea, actually. Being that he's a hockey guy first and foremost, he'll hopefully pick a city where the team would actually be welcomed and have a substantial fan base. Then, if he feels like it, he sells to a local buyer who promises to keep the team in its new home. And Bettman can go rub salt in his ass, because there wouldn't be a fucking thing he could do about it.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about Quebec. I went there this past spring. The fiancee and I chatted with the locals while watching the Oilers clinch the Western Conference on a Saturday night at some random bar downtown, and the people we talked to seem to think Quebec is too small a city to support an NHL franchise. They liked the idea of the NHL coming back but also didn't believe it would work, even now.

This was only a handful of people, but they made a pretty sound argument.

The one thing that really gives Kansas City an advantage is that the Sprint Center would be done in time for next season for the Penguins, should they decide to move there. That and they've already got hockey people -- some of whom Mario has made business dealings with in the past (like Sharks minority owner William Del Biaggio) -- in place there.

I really want the Penguins to stay. I would hate to see them leave Pittsburgh. But in Mario we trust.

12. Simon

Simon Active Member

The new Winnipeg Arena only holds 15,000 for hockey...and they had to re-do some restrooms for smaller lines...for an arena that was built only three years ago? Doesn't sound NHL quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted