1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penguins for sale - still and again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Dec 17, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Frank D'Angelo is a buffoon.

Tell you what his chances are of buying the Penguins: the Board of Governnors of the CFL wouldn't even have a meeting with the guy when he declared interest in buying the Ottawa Renegades.

Mark Cuban would certainly shake up things if he put a bid in for the team.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, the Whalers got John Cullen in that deal, too. :)

And Pittsburgh had enough of Howard Baldwin already, thank you.

3. I don't think the McClatchy/Nutting combination actually cares enough about the franchise to let Cuban buy into the Pirates. However, if he buys the Pens, it's possible he would be so much in the public eye for an extended period of time that public pressure could force a move to him in Pirates ownership. The difference between him, cause I think Cuban is a bit of a phony anyway, is that he actually cares enough not to let the team embarrass him unlike current ownership who cares more abotu the bottom line, that they are willing to take public embarrasment to make a buck.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think you've got your years mixed up. Hartford and Pittsburgh were nowhere close to each other in the standings that year. New Jersey picked 2nd and Chicago 3rd, I think.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm pulling for Frank D'Angelo. He'll give Ben Johnson a tryout. He'll have Crosby knocking back Cheetah to give him and extra step and he'll bring the only beer in the world worse than Iron City to Pittsburgh. What is not to like?

YHS, etc

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Testify, brother. That Steelback shit makes Stroh's taste like real beer.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The upside of D'Angelo taking over the team is that we could ship him out of the country to join Celine et al.

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

So what's the latest on the arena? Is it still possible they move out of Pittsburgh?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wait til Wednesday, that's the day of the vote to see who gets the slot contract.

If Isle of Capri gets it, the new Arena gets built. If someone else does, then the speculation begins.

10. Simon

Simon Active Member

Something tells me Isle of Capri gets it. The NHL is so hypocritical on its stance on gambling. Run and hide form the NJ investigation but encourage Pittsburgh to give it to Isle so they can have an arena. It's all a load of crap for a great sport with a shitty league where no one can watch it.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From what I hear, the Isle should get it. It feels to me like the Pens are being hung over the populace to make sure it happens.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted